Question

MichaelMcCallum

Closed credit accounts... who do I pay?
So about two years ago I made the decision that I was going to build credit. I made a mistake. I maxed all my cards out, thinking it would be ok. I tried to keep up with the debt. I just couldn't. Last time I checked, I owe $500-$600 to Discover, the same with CapitalOne, the same with Amazon, and the same with Fingerhut. Oh, and let's not forget about the student loan of $2k I need to pay off.

So I decided that it's time to stop ignoring my debt and pretending like it's not there. Tonight I tried logging into Capital One, Discover, Amazon, etc... but they closed my accounts. I checked Credit Karma and says some of the accounts are sold and that I owe $0 on my credit accounts.. the status show:

Charged off account
Account closed by credit grantor

What does this mean... who do I pay my debt too?? So the amount of money I owe is just accumulating, but I don't know who to contact to start paying off my debt?

What did I do? How do I get myself out of this ****hole?

How to find out what is owing and still on your credit reports is simple.  Go to annualcreditreport.com and get copies of all three credit reports.  You should find the information on these accounts on them and the contact information as to whom you pay.  "Closed" just means there are no further charges allowed on the accounts, but they should be paid.

When a credit closes your accounts and you previously had internet access to your account, the access is terminated as you can no longer manage the account online.   If no other creditor has contacted you, you should contact these creditors and make arrangements to pay off the debts.   If per chance, they sold your account to a collection firm, they will not be able to make payment arrangements with you and will direct you to that creditor to make payment.   If you are contacted by a creditor, ensure you do talk to them and make arrangements before they post a collection account.   They don't routinely post collection accounts to the bureau until they have tried to contact you and failed to make appropriate arrangements.   The faster you contact these firms, the less likely they are to see your debt and you would not cause any further damage to your credit report.