Question

5sto7shelpplease

Charged off student loan owned by Pioneer?
I spent my late teens and most of my 20's being completely irresponsible. I dropped out of college and let a student loan go into default. At one point I tried doing a rehabilitation plan, then lost my job and let it go bad (stupid) and it went back into default. My tax refund has been garnished every year to pay it down. the debt is now owned by Pioneer.
The past few years have been eye-opening, and I have really taken charge of my life and increased my credit score by 175 points! The one thing I've been leery about is how to handle this charged off student loan balance. Thanks to my last several years of tax refunds being intercepted, I'm down to only owing $450, which I'm more than happy to take care of as it's the last piece of my past that's still hitting my report.
I hear a lot about how Pioneer is super shady, and a lot of their tactics feel as if I'm not being 100% informed about what is in my best interests. Should I just call in and make the payment to them? Am I putting myself at any risk?

Absolutely Contact Them

You absolutely want to contact them and make that final payment so you can be assured you are paying no less but no more than whatever balance is due and then having them confirm that a satisfaction of judgment will be promptly filed so your 2016 tax refund won't be intercepted. Otherwise what's to prevent this "shady" company from asserting they are entitled to your entire refund?