Question

Ineedsomeadviceplease

Car repossessed, but no info on sale or reduction in balance ever received. Now sold to JDB.
Hello All,
Car first became delinquent in dec 2011. It was never brought completely up to date. OC reported 30, 60, 90, 60, OK, repossessed, but no payment was made. DOFD was pushed forward, but is incorrect. OC never sent notice of the price received for car at auction, and the balance of the loan never changed. OC sold debt to a JDB (NCB management) in nov 15'. I was never contacted by NCB, nor did they report to CRA's until december of 2016. NCB shows that the date the account opened was NOV 15 with them though despite not reporting to CRA's until Dec 16. Not that it really matter, but shortly before repossession I left an unhealthy marriage with 3 small children. The ex kept the car (not by court order). As a single parent I have struggled to just get food on the table and put my life back together. I managed to pay off all of my debt with the exception of this. I didn't have the ability to pay back the debt so I never pursued it. It was for 11 thousand and some change. I am trying to clean up my credit, but have no clue where to start on this. Help please!

First thing I would do is to check the "statute of limitations" in your state for this type of debt and find out if you could still be sued for it. Odds are that the "statute of limitations" has expired, but check your state laws to be sure. Secondly, I would not advise communicating with the debt collector or original lender on this. I think it may be best for you to consult with a consumer law attorney that handles FDCPA cases in your state. (fair debt collection practices act). I assume some wrongdoing has taken place here, if they are still holding you liable for the full amount when they repoed the car. You may have grounds to sue and in the best case scenario maybe the results would be a "wash" and the debt goes away and disappears from your credit reports. Many FDCPA law firms offer free consultations and require no out of pocket expenses if you are able to sue. I recommend the firm of Kimmel&Silverman if they practice in your state. If not, do some google searching to find a law firm to speak to and in the meantime, have NO communication with the debt collector or original lender on this account, nor the credit bureaus. Leave things just as they are until you speak to an attorney. Gather all the paperwork you have and print everything off that you can.