Question

axck

Can reporting an error to the bureaus lower my score?
I have a problem. My father added me as an authorized user on his Chase Freedom in 2008 when I was a college student, to help me build credit history. It was my only card until 2012, when I was financially independent and first got my own. This Freedom was shared between him, myself, and my mother. When I got my first card, he canceled my name from the Freedom. Since 2012, I've gotten several cards that I pay the balance off of every month and otherwise keep in good shape.

The problem is that Freedom is still being reported to the bureaus on my report. Furthermore, my parents use it heavily and carry a balance on it, causing my credit utilization to be in the 20% range rather than in the 1-5% range I should be at. However, since it predates any of my other cards by 4 years, I'm worried about the effect this will have to my score if it's removed. Isn't average account age a factor?