Question

suwannee26

Can I dispute a negative account if I offered payment and payment was refused by creditor?
I called creditor and discussed settling balance. I informed them I could not, at this time, pay full amount, but would like to make a series of payments to pay in full. I was told by this creditor that I can only pay the balance. No payments of lesser amount will be accepted. I explained I really want to do what I can to get the negative account fixed because I am trying to fix my credit. No luck. Is it possible to report this and have it removed, since I am trying to pay and they won't accept payments?

Most Helpful Response

You can try mailing them a payment and see if they cash the check.  (Probably different department than the ones you spoke to anyway.).  If that works, keep doing it until it is paid off.  If they call, don't talk to them, just keep sending payments and keep your bank statements or canceled checks as proof of payment.

you have a couple of options

First of all: the drones on the phones do not have the authority to negotiate anything but payment in full. SO never talk to them by phone.  Write a letter and see if you can negotiate a better deal.

Try here for more info   www.nolo.com/strategies-negotiating-with-creditors. All contact should be in writting.

You can also file a "Personal Statement" explaing that you tried to set up a payment plan and they wouldn't work with you.  You can do that by writting a letter to the Credit Reporting agencies. 

What if they ignore offers of payment?

I sent a debt verification letter to AFNI, who purchased an old Verizon bill of mine, and they not only responded, but sent a copy of the last Verizon bill I had. I knew the bill was mine, I just wanted verification from them. I have since sent 2 letters with offers to pay (a lesser amount than owed), and nothing; not a letter, phone call, nothing. Now what do I do? This has 2 more years before it drops off, I am desperate to purchase a home, and the mortgage broker I have been working with told me that this debt, and a tax lien (which I am working on paying, if I don't decide to wait until April for it to just go away), must be taken care of before I can get a mortgage, even though this Verizon debt is over 5 years old, and past the statute of limitations on collections.

What do I do? Can I write to the credit bureaus, enclose copies of letters and proof of receipt, and ask to have them deleted?

Sorry, but it is the creditor option to accept or refuse a settlement offer.  The debt cannot be disputed because it is still valid.