Credit Advice

Have a question? Have advice to share? The combined knowledge and experience of everyone in the Credit Karma community can help you. Enter your question or help others below to get started!


Posted in Credit Report
Profile Image

Question By

0 Contributions
0 People Helped
Can collection agency change the payment status reported to CBs after account is closed?
I paid a collection agency account for less than what was owed, I was fully prepared to pay the full balance but was offered via the phone to pay a lesser amount and I agreed. I did not ask to pay a lesser amount. I asked repeatedly that this will mark my account as paid in full and was told yes and it would close my account. However, they've reported this account as "legally paid in full for less than full balance". I feel so deceived and stupid being that the difference was only $50. They said since the account has been closed there is nothing else they can do, but for me to call the original creditor and see if I can pay the remaining balance. I do not see how this will help me. The orginal creditor is not on my credit report. How can I get the collection agency to report this acount as paid in full (I am willing to pay the remaining balance)? Can they reopen the account so I can pay? Please advise. Thanks.


Your Credit Scores Should Be Free. And Now They Are.

View your scores and reports anytime.


Reply to this Question

Write your response:
Enter Your Comments

The Credit Advice pages of the Site may contain messages submitted by users over whom Credit Karma has no control. Credit Karma cannot guarantee the accuracy, integrity or quality of any such messages. Some users may post messages that are misleading, untrue or offensive. You must bear all risk associated with your use of the Credit Advice pages and should not rely on messages in making (or refraining from making) any specific financial or other decisions.