Question

Elyse316

Can collection agency change the payment status reported to CBs after account is closed?
I paid a collection agency account for less than what was owed, I was fully prepared to pay the full balance but was offered via the phone to pay a lesser amount and I agreed. I did not ask to pay a lesser amount. I asked repeatedly that this will mark my account as paid in full and was told yes and it would close my account. However, they've reported this account as "legally paid in full for less than full balance". I feel so deceived and stupid being that the difference was only $50. They said since the account has been closed there is nothing else they can do, but for me to call the original creditor and see if I can pay the remaining balance. I do not see how this will help me. The orginal creditor is not on my credit report. How can I get the collection agency to report this acount as paid in full (I am willing to pay the remaining balance)? Can they reopen the account so I can pay? Please advise. Thanks.

-SEF