Question

DoxB2013

Can ANY collection account be placed on your credit report?
I have a dispute with a prior roommate. She paid only about 25% of the total cost of living in exchange for her family's landscaping business caring for the small lawn (very small- i live in a desert city), and her to feed/nanny my dogs as I am taken out of town for my job during the week. She actually works for them as well and has for the past 90 days or so after she was terminated from her fourth job in 15 months. She moved out of the home at the termination of our last lease and I moved on with a new roommate in the same home. I just received a bill for $140 that is claiming to be 50% discounted for lawn care the realtor insisted be complete before she would return her deposit. I did not solicit this company at any point in time, nor have I agreed to any services. The agreement was always between her and her family. I tried to discuss this with her, but of course, am getting no where. I believe that she mislead them to believe that I was aware of this charge to get them to do the work when I was not. I have received two invoices via email (it has not even be 30 days since the service date yet) and the second is claiming that I must remit payment immediately or face fees and collections. I know that they could turn this over to collections, but how can a collections agency then put this on my credit with no social security number, no signed agreement, no contract, etc. All they have is an invoice they created from contact information they received second hand. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Most Helpful Response

Collection

They cannot put this on your credit report and if they attempt it dispute it immediately. Since you have no contract with them the debt is invalid and they are in violation of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act for which they would be subject to a fine. Write them a letter telling them such if it appears on your report and demand validation of the debt which they must provide by law or threaten litigation. Usually this is sufficient to make them and the negative entry disappear.