Can a collection agency report on a removed debt?
I had a medical bill that had been reported to my insurance, 2 years after the date of service. I was then billed and that debt was sent to a collection agency. I got contacted by the collection agency last week. Before calling them, I decided to contact the doctors office and pay it off. I had no problem paying it off, but then asked if the payment was considered last since it was from 2014, but had gotten processed 2016. They informed that the debt was sent to a collections agency. So I asked how could that have happened if it was just processed. They told me they would tell the agency to remove it. Afterwards, I went to check my credit score and see if any collections were reported. As of today, nothing has been reported, but I was wondering if it was legal for the collection agency to report it after its been paid off. I was also thinking of contacting them to be sure that the dent was removed, but I don't know if that would be a good idea since I have never spoken to them and asking them this would be accepting the debt that they have not yet confirmed it with me. Should I call them to confirm that the debt was removed and if I could get that in writing. And also ask if it was report to the credit bureaus . Should I call to ask or not. If I should call them. What other things/proof should I ask for. And do they have the right to sell/ pass that paid debt to another collection agency or have the right to reopen a paid debt. Please let me know as I am very concerned. Thank you

To better answer your question we need to back track a bit. You need to find out who owns that debt, there are differences between "send" and "sold" to collection. "Send" usually meant that original creditor still own the debt, they either hire a collection agency to recover the debt or much less likely now days, they have their own collection department, in either case? the original creditor still have collection authority on that debt, so that debt can be easily recalled at their discretion... "Sold" to collection meant that the original creditor wash their hands and no longer own that debt, generally they can not recall the debt nor demand collection agency not to report or remove it from your credit reports. You would need to deal with collection agency and by paying original creditor won't negate the debt or relief your responsibility from it.

If original creditor sold that debt to collection agency? they generally won't accept your payment on that debt as they no longer have authority on it, however, some larger enteritis might take payment as "donation" but won't change the status of that debt, when the smaller businesses accepting your payment on the sold debt? usually because they either dont understand or simply don't care...So bottom line here is to find out who is the rightful owner of the said debt.