Question

jmedina9898

Anyone else experience collections disappearing before the 7 year mark?
So I had 5 collection accounts from medicredit. I paid 4 of the smaller ones off and disputed the balances with each credit bureau. Amazingly they were removed. Now the last one which was for $3300 I didn't dispute. It's only 16 months old. I made a $100 payment on it to start paying it off. That was a month ago. Today it was removed from all 3 credit bureaus. My score jumped 77 points. Now my question is... Do I continue to pay on it and hope that they don't report it anymore or should I not pay it at all? Would I risk them reporting again if I don't make payments on it? I've never seen this before.

You have quite the question. I am confused as well. Maybe it is there policy to pull accounts from collections when payment arrangements are made, that would not be typical, but it may be a tactic they use to get people paying, I have no idea. I know that there are some new laws coming soon regarding medical debt and credit reporting but I have not done any research on the new laws yet, but maybe you should to see what is going on with that and see if that somehow is at play here. Also do some research on this company to find out if there are any changes going on there, a lot of the times a collection account is removed is due to the collection company selling the account to another collection company, but since you've just made a payment to them, I would assume that they still own the debt. If you can afford to keep paying, I think I would for now until you are able to further assess what is going on. Be aware that when you enter into a payment agreement with a debt collector, in most states if you fail to make a payment on your agreement you reset the Statute of Limitations to be sued for the debt. (The credit reporting time period does NOT reset though). Congratulations on the big improvement.