Question

LeeBee19

An exception to the 7 year rule? Will this debt fall off my credit report next year or not?
I know that many debts come off your credit report after 7 years, but when debating whether to pay a small debt that I have in collections I read this:
"Money owed to or guaranteed by the government (unpaid taxes or student loans stay on your report indefinitely or until seven years from the date paid)."
I have a $40 debt that is owed to San Mateo County Revenue services from 2011 (6 years old). I think this must be an unpaid ticket or court fee that wasn't paid but its so old I don't know. I'd love to just pay the $40 dollars and forget about it but I'm trying to improve my credit and I'm afraid that it will stay on my credit report seven more years from the date paid. What is the best way to improve my credit score with this in collections? Should I ignore it and hope it goes away in a year or pay it because it will be on indefinitely until it's paid?

Any help would be great!