Question

cluelesscollegestudent

Account in collection from an apartment years ago. How will this affect me getting a new apartment?
I have an account in collections from 2012, and the original creditor is an apartment complex I used to live at. They invoiced me $326 after move-out for any damages.

I have leased two other apartments with my mom as my co-signor (they were college apartments) since then, and then a third apartment (my current apartment) without needing a co-signor or anything.

Now that I've graduated, my boyfriend and I are getting an apartment together in Austin, TX, but I'm concerned that my credit/collection will be an automatic denial. He has excellent credit and income (score of 770+), so he more than qualifies, but they said we must both apply and be on the lease together.

I have been able to rent other apartments with the collection on my credit report, but this is a higher-end apartment so I think they may have stricter criteria. Most places deny your application if you owe an apartment money, but is it technically still owing them money if it's sold to a debt collector?

I have disputed the collection with the bureaus so it shows as disputed, and I have written a letter to the agency to remove the item for payment. Will having it show up as disputed make a difference?

Thank you all in advance.

Most Helpful Response

Having it marked as "disputed" really won't make any difference. The only thing you could really do at this point is to contact the collection company once again with a "pay for delete" offer and hopefully they will accept it. If not, paying it so it is marked as paid may help with some landlords or some landlords may accept a reasonable explanation for the account and understand that you've not had any renter issues since. Unfortunately though, many landlords have been burnt in the past and may not accept anything less than perfect. All you can do is try to get a pay for delete or at least get it to paid status, other than that, just wait and see what happens. I wish you luck.

Thank you for your help.

I disclosed the situation with an apartment manager and she that I just have to prove that it's been paid. She suggested a letter from the collection agency buuuuuttt I feel like they're not going to do that. That's why I'm hoping that if I pay it, then the collection agent will update to "paid in full" for me, at the very least. 

Do you know if they have to report it as paid immediately, or if I have to negotiate that or something? I suppose I could fax them a letter to sign acknowledging that I have paid in full.