Question

AliskaU

7+ year old debt that's been reopened by a new collector, and I don't have original documentation.
I had two debts go to collection agencies over 7 years ago. Unfortunately I don't remember the exact days, and don't have any original paperwork. These debts recently appeared in Credit Karma's "Removed Collections" section. But now completely different collection agencies are contacting me for (I presume) the very same debts, with the same exact due amounts. They naturally appear on Credit Karma's "Open Collections".

I'm not sure what to do about this. Since I have no info on the original debts, I'm not sure how I can challenge or compare them to these new collections. Any advice? Or am I doomed to settle and have another 7 years of bad credit?

Good Question

Pull your reports and check to see when those acconts became delinquent. It aslo sounds like your debt has met the 7.5 stature of limitations. Check your state, stature of limitation. Most states are 7.5 years from the date reported late/delinquent.. If so, the debt in question is time-barred which means the collectors can call you but can not sue you for that debt. Tell them the debt DO NOT BELONG TO YOU! If you say it's yours or you try to pay it, you can reset the clock and 7.5 years starts all over again. Be careful with how you deal with this. After you check the dates and if the time have lapsed your are in the driver's seat. You can dispute the accounts with the credit bureas, stating that the two debts on your credit report are time-barred and should be deleted from your credit report. I hope this helps!

You're allowed a free credit report by all three agencies; Transunion, Equifax, and Experian once a year. Go to one of the agencies so called reported info on this site and see what the actual report states.  The lenders and addresses will be on the credit reports. Collection agencies love to renew old debts they purchase from original lenders. You can dispute the debts on your credit report(s). I wouldn't necessarily go by all the information on this website. Some debts stay on your record up to ten years, but generally drop off after seven. If the debts haven't dropped off your actual credit report, then dispute it.