4 year old Collections on CR from Roommate that broke lease & didn't pay rent. What can I do to fix?
4 years ago, my roommate at the time screwed me over and moved out of our apartment without warning. He had temporarily moved home for a couple months, but was still making payments. One day he shows up to move out all his furniture. After promising to continue to pay rent until I can find another roommate, he did not. We management company/landlords took us to court. He didn't show up. I did. I explained the situation to the mgmt company and their lawyer and we worked out a situation they would allow me to break the lease, pay for the next month and potentially keep the lease if we get it sorted by a certain date. If they did not receive payment for the outstanding rent, they will be forcibly evicting us (me).

So. we were basically evicted, but my roommate didn't give a sh*t bc he had already moved out and found another place in his hometown (3 hours away) and left me to deal with all this, I couldn't afford the rent on my own so I was forced to move out as well and move home with my parents for a few months to save up some money again. At the time I was living paycheck to paycheck so this was a huge blow. I thought I had it sorted out, when I came to that agreement with the mgmt company - meanwhile, they were also trying to get a hold of my roommate and he spun a completely different story and pinned this whole thing on me somehow, so to them it looks like 2 roommates just quarreling and they aren't taking sides and the outstanding balance was sent to collections. After a month or 2 of collection calls, they stopped. This was over 4 years ago now, and I had assumed that my roommate had taken care of it. This was my best friend and we stopped talking all together after this incident, and the emotional weight of the situation - as soon as I stopped getting calls, I was able to put it out of sight, out of mind.

Fast forward to today, looking up my credit report. I see the debt that went into collections and it's still marked as "Open".

After that whole novel, my question is. What can I do about this? The lease was in both of our names.

you know what they say when you "Assume"

Pay it off, if you don't want it on your credit report.

If both names were on the lease ,  pay your half and leave it at that.  it will stay on your report.  if you get any one contacting you about it give them the ex room mates #'s and address.

I'm sure it's on their credit report as well.

Lesson learned the hard way.

Unfortunately, the derogatory remark will probably remain even if you pay it off but you can save some points by paying it off before it goes into Collections, if it is not already. Just making payments, even if small, will probably keep it out of collections.