Is the Chase Sapphire Reserve® worth the annual fee?
The Chase Sapphire Reserve® charges a $550 annual fee, which is on the high side — even for a premium rewards card. But it also offers some of the best perks out there.
The $300 annual travel credit makes it easy to cover more than half of the annual fee without much work, and the airport lounge access and delivery credits can provide considerable value.
And that value doesn’t even include what you get from the card’s valuable rewards points redeemable through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
The most-valuable Chase Sapphire Reserve® benefits
$300 flexible travel credit
The Chase Sapphire Reserve® features a $300 annual travel credit, and it’s one of the most useful benefits you’ll find on any premium rewards card.
Unlike some other credits, this one has very few restrictions on its use and automatically applies to your travel purchases. The credit works for practically any travel purchase you can imagine, including flights, hotels, and less obvious categories like transportation and rideshares.
Airport lounge access
The Chase Sapphire Reserve® also comes with a complimentary Priority Pass™ Select membership (with required one-time activation), which allows access to more than 1,300 airport lounges around the world for the cardholder and two guests.
This benefit can be valuable, but some premium rewards cards offer Priority Pass membership and additional, more-exclusive lounge access.
Food delivery perks
The Chase Sapphire Reserve® also features perks from popular food delivery apps.
You’ll receive a complimentary DashPass membership for DoorDash, which also includes $5 in DoorDash credits each month, for a minimum of one year. DashPass offers $0 delivery fees and lower service fees on eligible orders, and it usually costs $9.99 per month.
You’ll also get a $15 Instacart credit each month through July 2024, when you activate the card’s complimentary Instacart+ membership.
More Chase Sapphire Reserve® benefits
The Chase Sapphire Reserve® also comes with a handful of lesser-known travel perks that could make or break your trip.
- Airport security program credits — When you apply for an expedited airport security program like Global Entry, TSA PreCheck® or Nexus, you’ll receive a credit of up to $100 every four years. Similar travel program credits are available on many travel cards, but they’re still nice to have.
- Hotel perks — You’ll be eligible for complimentary room upgrades, early check-in and late checkout when you book a room at a property included in the Luxury Hotel & Resort Collection℠, which includes some of the top hotels and resorts around the world.
- Travel insurance and protections — When you book your trip with your card, you’ll be eligible for a variety of travel insurance coverages and protections, including trip cancellation and interruption insurance, lost luggage reimbursement, and more.
- Car rental discounts — When you rent a car from Avis, National or Silvercar, you’ll be eligible for discounts and complimentary upgrades to a nicer vehicle.
- No foreign transaction fees — Because there are no foreign transaction fees, this card is a good option to bring when you’re traveling internationally.