We think it's important for you to understand how we make money. It's pretty simple, actually. The offers for financial products you see on our platform come from companies who pay us. The money we make helps us give you access to free credit scores and reports and helps us create our other great tools and educational materials.
Compensation may factor into how and where products appear on our platform (and in what order). But since we generally make money when you find an offer you like and get, we try to show you offers we think are a good match for you. That's why we provide features like your Approval Odds and savings estimates.
Of course, the offers on our platform don't represent all financial products out there, but our goal is to show you as many great options as we can.
Range of potential discounts
Must qualify for USAA membership
High customer satisfaction ratings
One-stop shop for insurance and other financial products
What you need to know about USAA auto insurance
Based in San Antonio, Texas, USAA serves more than 13 million members in the military community. It’s the fifth-largest auto insurance company based on market share of liability premiums, according to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners.
USAA offers a range of financial and insurance products, including renters, homeowners, personal property, condo, life, umbrella, motorcycle, RV and boat insurance.
High customer satisfaction ratings
USAA was ranked second in the J.D. Power 2019 Insurance Shopping Study and third in the J.D. Power 2019 U.S. Auto Claims Satisfaction Study. The number of customer complaints for USAA in 2019 was lower than usual for insurance companies of its size in the market, according to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners.
The biggest downside to USAA auto insurance is that it’s not available to everyone. You must be a USAA member, which is limited to active-duty military members and retired and separated veterans with an honorable discharge from the U.S. military. It’s also available to eligible family members, which include children, spouses, widows, widowers and un-remarried former spouses of USAA members, as long as they joined prior to or during the marriage.
If you don’t fall under any of these categories, you’ll need to search elsewhere for auto insurance.
Wide range of discounts
USAA offers a range of discounts, including some that are uniquely tailored to the military community. Here are some that stand out.
- Military installation discount — If you garage your vehicle on base (in other words, if you keep your car on base when you’re not driving it), you can get up to 15% off your comprehensive coverage.
- Family discount — If your parents are USAA members, you may be able to save up to 10% on your policy.
- Vehicle storage discount — If you have to store your vehicle, you can get a rate discount of up to 60%.
You’ll also get up to 10% off your homeowners or renters insurance policy if you bundle it with an auto policy.
Here are some more discounts that USAA offers, which are based on your driving habits and vehicle.
- Safe driver discount
- Defensive driving course discount
- Driver training discount (for people under 21)
- Good student discount
- New-vehicle discount
- Multi-vehicle discount
- Annual mileage discount
A closer look at USAA auto insurance
If you’re a USAA member or qualify to become one, here are some other details about USAA auto insurance to help you determine if it’s the right fit for you.
- Available across the United States — USAA auto insurance is available across the U.S. and worldwide.
- Additional financial products — USAA also offers banking, loan, and investment products and services.
- Coverage options — USAA offers standard auto insurance coverage options such as liability, comprehensive, collision, uninsured motorist, personal injury protection, medical payments and rental reimbursement coverage. The company also offers rideshare insurance and accident forgiveness — if your driving record is accident-free for five years, your premium won’t go up after one at-fault accident.
- Financial strength — USAA maintains the highest financial strength ratings from A.M. Best Company and Moody’s Investor Service.
- Claims — You can file a claim, check the status of a claim or request roadside assistance online or through the USAA mobile app. If you have trouble finding what you need, the app’s virtual assistant can help answer questions or connect you with a representative.
Is a USAA auto insurance policy the right fit for you?
Because USAA’s financial products and services are available only for members of the military community and their eligible family members, USAA car insurance is worth considering only if you’re eligible for membership.
For those who qualify, USAA can provide significant savings if you get deployed and need to store your vehicle or if you’re living on base. Combined with some of USAA’s other auto insurance discounts, you could potentially see a major drop in your premium if you switch to USAA.
How to get an auto insurance quote from USAA
You can get a quote from USAA online at usaa.com or by calling 800-292-8045. To get a quote online, you’ll first need to log into your online account or create one.
Not sure if an auto insurance policy from USAA is right for you? Consider these alternatives.
If you’re not sure whether USAA is the right fit for you or you want to compare other options, here are a couple of other car insurance companies to have on your radar.
- Liberty Mutual auto insurance: Liberty Mutual could be good if you want the ability to get a lower deductible over time.
- Root auto insurance: This insurance company may be ideal if you want your car insurance premium to be based mainly on how you drive.