We think it's important for you to understand how we make money. It's pretty simple, actually. The offers for financial products you see on our platform come from companies who pay us. The money we make helps us give you access to free credit scores and reports and helps us create our other great tools and educational materials.
Compensation may factor into how and where products appear on our platform (and in what order). But since we generally make money when you find an offer you like and get, we try to show you offers we think are a good match for you. That's why we provide features like your Approval Odds and savings estimates.
Of course, the offers on our platform don't represent all financial products out there, but our goal is to show you as many great options as we can.
|Free roadside assistance||New policies aren’t available outside of California|
|Can file SR-22 forms||Higher ratio of customer complaints compared to its peers|
|24-hour claims reporting hotline||Limited discount opportunities|
What you need to know about 21st Century auto insurance
Part of the Farmers Insurance Group of Companies, 21st Century offered auto insurance in nearly every state until a few years ago, according to a customer service representative. But currently, 21st Century offers new auto insurance policies only to people in California, where it’s served customers for more than 60 years.
Based in Wilmington, Delaware, 21st Century is a direct-to-consumer insurance company, meaning that it sells insurance directly, online or over the phone, instead of through an insurance agent.
Free roadside assistance
Every covered driver and vehicle on your 21st Century policy will receive free 24-hour roadside assistance at no additional charge. Other insurance companies typically charge extra for this type of coverage.
Higher ratio of customer complaints compared to its peers
In 2019, 21st Century Insurance had a higher ratio of customer complaints compared to similar insurers in the market, according to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners, or NAIC.
Few coverage options
Limited discount opportunities
21st Century offers six auto insurance discounts, including a good-student discount and a mature-driver discount, which is available to drivers who are at least 55 years old. Here are a few other discounts the company offers.
- Superior- or good-driver discount — Drivers with no tickets or accidents in the past three years may qualify for the good-driver discount, while drivers with a safe driving record for four years could also qualify for the superior-driver discount.
- Multi-car discount — If you have multiple cars or drivers on the same policy, you could receive a discount.
- Anti-theft discount — You can save an average of 15% on your policy if your car’s anti-theft devices are current.
A closer look at 21st Century auto insurance
Here are some additional things to consider with 21st Century auto insurance.
- Mobile app — 21st Century primarily does business online or over the phone, but it also has a mobile app that allows policyholders to complete basic tasks like viewing their ID cards and policy details, paying their bills and reporting claims.
- Claims — You can file a claim online or by calling the 24-hour Claims Reporting Hotline.
- SR-22 forms — For drivers with an existing 21st Century insurance policy, the company will file SR-22 forms if you qualify, according to a customer service representative.
- Confusing website — The company’s website is difficult to navigate, with some links in its frequently asked questions section redirected to irrelevant pages. If you’re considering coverage from 21st Century, you may want to call the company to get your questions answered and to confirm information on the site.
Is a 21st Century auto insurance policy the right fit for you?
A 21st Century auto policy may be a fit for you if you’re a California resident seeking a new auto insurance policy with basic coverage. It may also be ideal if you prefer to work directly with an insurance company rather than through an agent.
But if you don’t live in California or want supplemental coverage or more opportunities for discounts, you’ll need to consider other insurers.
How to get an auto insurance quote from 21st Century
You can get a quote from 21st Century over the phone or online at 21st.com.
If you’re unsure which types of auto insurance coverage to consider, read our article on how much car insurance you might need. And before you buy a policy with 21st Century, remember to shop around and compare quotes from multiple car insurance companies.
Not sure if a 21st Century auto insurance policy is right for you? Consider these alternatives.
If you don’t live in California or just aren’t sure whether 21st Century car insurance is right for you, here are some other options to consider.
- Geico: Auto insurance from Geico could be good for someone who’s looking for a wide range of discount opportunities.
- Farmers Insurance: Farmers may be ideal if you want a lot of auto insurance coverage options to choose from.