5 tax tips for college students

College student checks for tax tips on her laptop in her dorm room College student checks for tax tips on her laptop in her dorm room Image:

In a Nutshell

If you’re a college student who’s never had to file income taxes before, filing for the first time can be intimidating. But you can take steps to make the process as easy as possible and maximize any tax refund you may be due.

Editorial Note: Credit Karma receives compensation from third-party advertisers, but that doesn’t affect our editors' opinions. Our marketing partners don’t review, approve or endorse our editorial content. It’s accurate to the best of our knowledge when it’s posted.
Advertiser Disclosure

We think it's important for you to understand how we make money. It's pretty simple, actually. The offers for financial products you see on our platform come from companies who pay us. The money we make helps us give you access to free credit scores and reports and helps us create our other great tools and educational materials.

Compensation may factor into how and where products appear on our platform (and in what order). But since we generally make money when you find an offer you like and get, we try to show you offers we think are a good match for you. That's why we provide features like your Approval Odds and savings estimates.

Of course, the offers on our platform don't represent all financial products out there, but our goal is to show you as many great options as we can.

This article has been updated for the 2018 tax year.

College is the gateway to adulthood for many people.

You might begin living on your own, get a part-time job, and make decisions for yourself that your parents used to make for you. Filing a tax return is one more rite of passage, and it doesn’t have to be a scary one.

In fact, filing a tax return could mean you’ll get money back. Here are five things you can do that may help you maximize a tax refund if you’re owed one.

1. Know your dependency status

Many of your education-related expenses could qualify you for a tax credit or deduction. But if you’re still listed as a dependent on your parents’ tax return, you may not be able to claim those tax breaks.

“Qualified education expenses paid by a dependent for whom the parent can claim an exemption, or by a third party for that dependent, are considered paid by the parent,” says Dr. Sandra Byrd, CPA and professor of accounting at Missouri State University.

Your parents can claim you as a dependent on their tax return if you’re a single full-time student younger than 24. But if you’re paying your own way through college, be sure to talk to Mom and Dad about not claiming you so that you can take advantage of tax breaks on your own tax return.

2. Apply for scholarships

Not only do scholarships provide you with free money to help pay for college costs, they’re also generally tax-free. That means they won’t be included as taxable income (unlike money you earn from a job) when it comes time to calculate your tax refund.

To see which scholarships you’re eligible for, check with your school’s financial aid office. Additionally, check out scholarship websites to search for opportunities through other organizations.

Are scholarships taxable income? Find out

3. Get extra credit

Two federal tax credits are specifically designed for college students: The American opportunity tax credit (AOTC) and the lifetime learning credit.

“Students are normally only eligible for the AOTC during the first four years of college,” says Byrd. If you qualify, you can get a credit of up to $2,500 — that’s 100 percent of the first $2,000 you spend in qualifying education expenses, and 25 percent of the next $2,000. Qualified expenses include:

  • Tuition and fees
  • Other required school expenses
  • Books, supplies and equipment

If the AOTC helps get your tax liability down to zero, you can get 40 percent of the remaining credit in the form of a tax refund, up to $1,000.

With the lifetime learning credit, you can claim up to $2,000, or 20 percent of the first $10,000 you spent during the year in qualified education expenses.

“There is no limit on the number of years the lifetime learning credit can be claimed,” says Byrd. The credit isn’t refundable, though, so it only helps cover any taxes that you owe. For students that expect a tax refund, this credit isn’t as helpful.

Keep in mind you can only claim these for yourself if a parent doesn’t claim you as a dependent on his or her tax return. Otherwise, your parent would get the credit. Don’t forget, you can only claim one of these two education credits in the same year. Also, you must deduct tax-free financial assistance like grants and scholarships from your qualified education expenses — basically you can’t double-dip with the tax relief.

4. Make interest-only payments on your student loans

Unless the government subsidizes your student loans, they usually start accruing interest as soon as you or your school receives the loan money. That interest increases the amount you need to repay after you graduate.

What’s more, if you don’t pay any interest before the loan comes due, the interest may capitalize. That means the interest you still owe could get added to the principal amount you borrowed, and your interest going forward will be based on that new, higher amount.

But if you make interest-only payments, you can prevent the interest from capitalizing. Also, you can deduct that interest paid from your income on your tax return, up to $2,500 a year.

Again, this works only if a parent doesn’t claim you as a dependent, even if you were the one who made the payments.

5. Don’t pay to file your tax return

“Most college students have relatively simple tax returns,” says Mark Kantrowitz, publisher and vice president of strategy at Cappex.com, a website that helps students compare colleges and find scholarships. “They are often eligible to file a 1040A or 1040EZ.” Those are the most basic tax return forms.

If you’re filing either form, you probably don’t need to pay someone to do your return for you, Kantrowitz says. Instead, he recommends learning how to file it yourself or using a free online tax preparation service. With Credit Karma Tax®, filing your state and federal tax returns is always free.

If you’re not comfortable with filing on your own or you want to avoid mistakes, Byrd recommends seeing if there’s a Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program in your area that can prepare and file your taxes for free.

Bottom line

Filing your tax return doesn’t have to be intimidating. Understanding how to maximize your tax refund can make you feel empowered, and put some extra money in your pocket. Use these tips when you get ready for your next tax return, and you could have a better chance at getting more back.