Better Mortgage

NMLS ID# 330511

Years in the industry

$27B

Total funded loans

Information is provided by the mortgage lender.

4.2

Aug 13, 2020
Best experience ever for financing

Refinanced my primary residence mortgage. They have the best tools and someone responds in person if required.

Apr 18, 2021
Horrible Experience!

HORRIBLE! A full month of almost daily requests for more documentation. They even demanded my IRS ID and password! They rarely return phone calls or emails. You never know where you stand. Had a back to back closing - my sellers were buying another home. Better hadn't wired the funds yet. Everyone waited while I spent 3 hours on the phone with Better reps who said everything was approved but couldn't even tell me what was going on - again, No statis! Funds finally arrived 3 hours late.

We don’t have rates available from Better Mortgage.

Average rates from other lenders

Add your home details to see if we have rates for you from our lender partners

Check for rates

Jul 01, 2022
Horrible Customer Service

I had a decent experience with them and I had a very bad experience with them. Fortunately the recent bad experience didn't cost me anything but time, but it does seem like the company has fallen a lot. I emailed my loan office several times and she never answered me. I double checked that the email was correct. I also recently called to see if they could beat a rate from another lender, and the woman hung up on me. I wasn't being rude, nor was I upset, but it was clearly a hangup instead of a disconnect. I guess the employees are stressed because the company is no longer run well. Hard pass for the future.

Jun 20, 2022
Red_1928

Was never contacted after they sent me to a local realtor very unprofessional was never told what i was pre approved for.

Jun 18, 2022
Great Introduction Followed By A Steep Decline

We chose Better for a 30-day close. Our first representative was great and the site was easy. We uploaded all of our personal/financial documents within days. We didn’t hear from anyone for two weeks and assumed we were on track. When we later needed information for condo docs, we learned that our representative had changed. We often had to wait days for answers from our new representative and took to calling their overseas office at night. We still thought that we were on pace to make our closing until our representative was, again, changed days before closing. The new representative was out of the office during the final days leading up to closing. We were never told that we weren't going to be able to close on time. My partner was on the phone with yet another representative through the afternoon on our scheduled closing date (a Friday), clarifying very basic closing-cost information that had already been spelled-out by the title attorney. The representative said that he had to check something and would call right back. He never did. The following Monday, Better remained hung-up on the same closing-cost questions. After the title attorney repeated her clarification, we were scheduled to close that afternoon. While at the closing table, we waited for the wire until, fortunately, the seller agreed to proceed, presuming that funds were on the way. The next morning, I received a frantic call from title asking if I had heard from Better because they never sent the wire. Funds were not sent until 24 hours after our belated closing. We literally just got a call about setting up our monthly payment portal -- two months after the fact and after our loan had already been sold. Fortunately, we figured out how to do it ourselves on Reddit. My partner and I are both W2 employees, covered closing costs with two checking accounts, have 780+ credit scores, and have no student loans. If our loan was any more complicated, I'm honestly not sure we would have been able to close with Better. From experience, Better will be competitive (though not head-and-shoulders above competitors) in terms of rate and fees, but you're taking that money and buying a headache.

Jun 13, 2022
Unreasonable; poor customer service

Worst experience with a mortgage company ever! We had a tight timeline (6 weeks). They asked endless questions (all on line), some of which made no sense. Half of which had nothing to do with our financials or credit worthiness. E.G. How long were you in you last profession. What does that have to do with qualifying for a lone? We've been retired for 6+ years. Not prompt with returning calls/emails. I got less confident that they were going to be able to close on time. So, I was putting a down payment of 37+% with credit scores just under 800. The appraisal came in $38k/6% less than the selling price. So they came up with this convoluted formula that said I needed to come up with an additional $24k down payment. Original loan to value was 64.7%; new loan to value 68.8%. What the heck!! I talked with management and they wouldn't budge off of the extra down payment. Wasted 2.5 weeks. Talked to two other lenders who stated they're requirement was unfounded and they never heard of or would do such a thing. I told BM to take a hike. Had a lender do the loan in 3 weeks! BM rate was better but they were totally unreasonable. Outstanding customer service from another lender. I also had a suspicion that they wanted to back out of the loan because it was at the time when rates were rising fast

Jun 13, 2022
Delay and fester

Rating based on current experience. May go down more as the process continues. Very bad response protocol. Chat all day long and get nothing done. Licensed team members not available to speak or email.

Jun 09, 2022
Bait

Appraisal bait. Will schedule without your consent, please consider before accepting the “locked in rate.”

Jun 08, 2022
Is better really better?

Liked that it was all a digital experience. Loa closed in less Than two months after applying.

Jun 07, 2022
HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE STAY AWAY from BETTER Mortgage!!!

If I could give Better Mortgage 0 stars that would be ideal. I am a real estate agent in Texas and my advisor Ty Carlton would not give me a call to update my file until I begged him to. We were a day before closing and could not get ahold of him and anyone who knew anything about the file for days. I’ve emailed complaints over and over and not one person in management called to make amends. The day before we were supposed to close we did not have the clear to close! Ultimately, my client had buyer fatigue because of their unprofessional response and decided to back out of the deal. Stay away from Better Mortgage and work with a local lender with great communication. I am a high volume buyers agent and I would never wish this upon anyone!

Jun 06, 2022
Good experience

Very fast and quick. Able to finish all documentation in 3 weeks.

Jun 05, 2022
Awful lender/no customer service

Poor customer service. They have a great website and technology, and that’s where the good stuff ends. They were a nightmare to work with, for me and the title company. If you want to have to make calls, emails, etc. to chase things down and do all the work to ensure you close on time, then Better is for you.

We don’t have rates available from Better Mortgage.

Average rates from other lenders

Refinance rates

Purchase rates

Average home details

Credit score: 720–739 • ZIP: 77009 • Price: $300,000 • Down payment: 20%

Add your home details to see if we have rates for you from our lender partners

Check for rates

††These ratings and reviews are provided by our users. The articles you read here come from the opinions of our editorial team. Lenders do not endorse or guarantee this content, are not responsible for it, and may not even be aware of it. Credit Karma receives compensation from third-party advertisers, but that doesn’t affect our editors’ opinions. Our marketing partners don’t review, approve or endorse our editorial content. It’s accurate to the best of our knowledge when it’s posted.

About These Rates: The lenders whose rates and other terms appear on this site are our advertising partners. The interest rates, annual percentage rates, and other terms advertised here are estimates provided by those advertising partners based on the information you entered above and they do not bind any lender. The monthly payment amounts and APRs shown here do not include taxes and insurance. Lender Fees include application, commitment, underwriting, processing fees or similar fees and do not include most third party fees, such as title insurance, tax service, escrow and other such fees in which the lender does not profit and are passed directly through to the borrower. Any potential savings figures are estimates based on the information provided by you and our advertising partners. While we will always do our best to provide you with accurate rate data, rates change frequently, and each advertising partner is responsible for the accuracy and availability of its own advertised terms. Your actual annual percentage rate and loan terms will be determined by the advertising partner’s assessment of your creditworthiness and other factors after you select and apply for a loan product. The credit scores you see on Credit Karma use the VantageScore 3.0 scoring model. Rates shown here may be retrieved using a different scoring model, and our advertising partners may also use a different scoring model when assessing your creditworthiness. The rates and other terms shown here may differ from those an advertising partner displays on its own website or on other advertising platforms. When evaluating offers, please review the advertising partner’s terms and conditions for details. These rates and other terms were retrieved via the Mortech rate engine.

Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from which Credit Karma receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site (including, for example, the order in which they appear). It is this compensation that enables Credit Karma to provide you with services like free access to your credit scores and free monitoring of your credit and financial accounts at no charge. Credit Karma strives to provide a wide array of offers for our members, but our offers do not represent all financial services companies or products. We do not endorse any lender or provider, in particular.