Credit Card Reviews

The Home Depot® Consumer Credit Card

Credit Score
  • info This chart details the percent of cardholders that a credit score that currently falls within the given score ranges.
  • info This chart displays the average credit score across all holders of this card, every month, for the past year.
Credit Limit
  • info This chart details the percent of cardholders whose credit limit on this card currently falls within the given amount ranges.
  • info This chart displays the average credit limit of all holders of this card whose current credit score falls within the given score ranges.
  • info This chart displays the average credit limit of all holders of this card whose current age falls within the given age ranges.
  • info This chart details the percent of cardholders whose current balance on this card falls within the given amount ranges.
  • info This chart displays the average current balance for all holders of this card whose current credit score falls within the given score ranges.
  • info This chart displays the average current balance for all holders of this card whose current age falls within the given age ranges.
  • info This chart details the percent of cardholders whose current credit limit utilization for this card falls within the given utilization ranges.
  • info This chart displays the average credit limit utilization for all holders of this card whose current credit score falls within the given score ranges.
  • info This chart displays the average credit limit utilization for all holders of this card whose current age falls within the given age ranges.
60+ Days Past Due Status
  • info This chart displays the percent of holders of this card that were 60+ days past due for the given month for the past year.
  • info This chart displays the percent of holders of this card that are currently 60+ days past due and whose current credit score falls within the given score range.
  • info This chart displays the average amount that is 60+ days past due for holders whose current credit score falls within the given score range.
Age of Cardholder
  • info This chart details the percent of cardholders whose current age falls within the given age ranges.
Sample Size: 4,746
Data Created: October 01, 2013

67 Cardholder Reviews

Results 1-10 of 67Results per page: 5 | 10 | 25Page 1 of 7   Previous | Next

Recently I attempted to purchase a new washer/dryer from my local Home Depot because they had 0% financing for card holders.  I tried my card but was told the account had been CLOSED.  No problem.  I applied for credit again and was refused and was told I would be receiving a letter explaining why I was refused.  Easy enough.  Right?  Wrong.

The reason for refusal was sent to me with a bill showing a balance of $250.54 in addition to a letter from a collection agency.  Upon a closer look I saw that the Late Fees & Interest for the Year totaled $250.14.  I NEVER RECEIVED A STATEMENT or used the card this year.  Now lets do the math.  The difference between the fees/interest and the current balance is $0.40.  Yes 40 cents.   Citibank decided to accrue late fees and interest on 40 cents from the beginning of the year totaling over $250.

The folks at Citibank are a BUNCH OF CROOKS.  BEWARE!!!!!!! and check your statements carefully.

Aug 14, 2012 Reply

Was approved for $750 CL and 24.99% APR. Promotional offer said 10% off first purchase, which I did not receive. They wanted me to jump through hoops in the store to get the 10% off, so I let it go. Will pay off $400 balance and use rarely. Read some pretty crappy reviews.

diswiddlepiggy's review was:

Jun 08, 2011 Reply

diswiddlepiggy(3, 5)

Review by diswiddlepiggy

If you are military or retired, you always should get 10% off.  Show military card.

im409gal's reply was:

Nov 26, 2012

im409gal(3, 5)

Review by im409gal

I had a Home Depot Card for over 10 years. I had a balance of $1600 and paid down an $800 chunk only to get a letter saying my limit was now $800.  I recently paid off the $800 only to get another letter saying they have canceled my credit due to derogatory comment on my credit report.

I am now a happy Lowes customer.

LukeSkywalker's review was:

Oct 21, 2010 Reply

LukeSkywalker(2, 11)

Review by LukeSkywalker

After almost 3 years as a card holder, NEVER missing a payment, and paying them $800 last month, out of the blue I receive a letter stating that they are CANCELLING my account!  My limit was $6800 and I've never gone about $2500.  They stated that OTHER high balance accounts were the reason that they decided to close the account.  Instead, I would have rather had them lower my credit limit, or raise the minimum payment.  This really kind of upsets me as I will no longer be able to use their 6/12/18months no payments promotions :-(

rparlee's review was:

Sep 20, 2012 Reply

rparlee(1, 2)

Review by rparlee

Had this same thing happen to my account.  Never missed a payment, and received a letter stating my account was closed because I fell below their requirements on my other credit cards.  No other credit card was maxed out or behind on payments.

Evilbrat4now's reply was:

Jan 06, 2013

Evilbrat4now(1, 3)

Review by Evilbrat4now

Same thing happened to me. No balance but was closed.

tickles4u2's reply was:

Dec 23, 2013

tickles4u2(1, 0)

Review by tickles4u2

Dont be upset, GO TO LOWES!

im409gal's reply was:

Nov 26, 2012

im409gal(3, 5)

Review by im409gal

This card is issued by Citibank. I have applied for various cards also issued by them such as Sears and got denied.  They gave me a starting limit of $500.  No annual fee. It's been almost a year and no credit limit increase as of yet. I tried to submit for one but they want you to enter all your banking information which I won't do. The interest rate is 25.99% . I usually keep my balance under $100 at a time. Not too bad for what I would use it for which would be occasional purchases.

psychicmike's review was:

Nov 30, 2010 Reply

psychicmike(27, 247)

Review by psychicmike

Top Contributor

I did have this card but I would pay it in full when my statement came. I no longer have my Home Depot Credit Card...

JettHall's review was:

Aug 09, 2012 Reply

JettHall(7, 14)

Review by JettHall

Before the market crash is when I got this card. They gave me a $3500 cl. I have no idea what my credit score was back then. When Citibank's sky started falling down around them because of their greed they cut my cl down to 2500, then 2000, then 1750, then 1500, then 1200, then $750, all within 8 months. They did this despite the facts that I never missed any payments or was late on any of my accounts with anyone. Those jugheads dropped my cl at one time to lower than my balance making me over my cl. They were kind enough to charge me over the cl fees for that too. >:(

Then they finally dropped the cl to $500 which makes it basicaly useless to buy anything at Home Depot. If I happen to be there I'll buy a bottle of Coke with it and pay it off the same day from my bank bill pay system.

They also raised the rate from an already high 19% to an eye popping 31% and for no good reason other than they were greedy and had nothing to restrain them.

My purchase of a dishwasher was already locked in at 19% so I just paid that off and I'm not going to use their card again, ever! Citibank is too greedy.

In case you don't get the meaning of my post I'm not recommending this card to anyone, ever!

Franco1985's review was:

May 17, 2012 Reply

Franco1985(22, 48)

Review by Franco1985

Top Contributor

i love the everyday promo +299 6 months or longer no interest min. due required.  they are up front that there is no grace period.  i got my card within 8 days of opening my account and have never had a problem.  i get coupons often in the mail for a 1 year promotion with clear instructions coupon must be scanned at time of purchase.   i love that in june they added auto pay to their account online services.   i also requested a credit line increase that was appoved within 5 minutes with a very friendly agent.   i would advice everyone to apply but to also follow the rules, piece of cake.

Jul 16, 2012 Reply
do not get this card Helpful to 1 out of 1 people

You will be very sorry. HD has an unyielding and santimonious attitude about late payments even when they are only two or three days late. You will be reported to the credit bureaus and your credit blemished for the next seven years. Even with a zero balance and tens of thousands of dollars worth of purchases and timely payments, they gave me a negative credit report for one late payment of 49 dollars which was paid right after I realized I had missed it. They were unforgiving and unyielding. I have since cut up my cards and returned them to them. If you are going to buy there use your own credit cards or cash.

Mar 09, 2014 Reply
LOW CREDIT Limit Helpful to 1 out of 1 people

I got this card to help at my parents with there work so we could have the 0% interest and 5% lowes match. Don't have a lot of credit build up yet but they give me a low 500 dollar credit limit. You can't do much buying when you remodel houses on 500 dollars... not to mention that 500 dollars is A LOT lower then my two major credit cards.. Citi Banks customer service is also terrible

TeamRedfish's review was:

Jan 09, 2014 Reply

TeamRedfish(6, 11)

Review by TeamRedfish

Results 1-10 of 67Results per page: 5 | 10 | 25Page 1 of 7   Previous | Next

Add Your Review Of The Home Depot® Consumer Credit Card

Cardholder Rating Distribution (67)

The Home Depot® Consumer Credit Card, serviced by Citibank, offers Home Depot® customers card benefits. Cardholder features may include an interest-free introductory period, automatic savings for in-store purchases, special promotions throughout the year, and online account management. Online account access includes the ability to view statements, check balance, make payments, and request a credit line increase. Home Depot® also offers additional credit products, such as The Home Depot® Rewards MasterCard® , The Home Depot® Commercial Revolving Charge Card, The Home Depot® Commercial Account, and The Home Depot® Business Rewards MasterCards® to fit consumers' credit needs.

The Home Depot® opened its doors in 1979 in Atlanta, Georgia as a one-stop shopping for the “do-it-yourselfer”. The first stores were huge, 60,000 square foot warehouses that dwarfed the competing hardware stores. Empty boxes piled high on the shelves gave the illusion of even more product, the story goes. Today, The Home Depot® is the world’s largest home improvement specialty retailer, with 2,246 retail store across all 50 U.S. states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands, Canada, Mexico, and China.

The Home Depot® Consumer Credit Card