Credit Score
  • info This chart details the percent of cardholders that a credit score that currently falls within the given score ranges.
  • info This chart displays the average credit score across all holders of this card, every month, for the past year.
Credit Limit
  • info This chart details the percent of cardholders whose credit limit on this card currently falls within the given amount ranges.
  • info This chart displays the average credit limit of all holders of this card whose current credit score falls within the given score ranges.
  • info This chart displays the average credit limit of all holders of this card whose current age falls within the given age ranges.
  • info This chart details the percent of cardholders whose current balance on this card falls within the given amount ranges.
  • info This chart displays the average current balance for all holders of this card whose current credit score falls within the given score ranges.
  • info This chart displays the average current balance for all holders of this card whose current age falls within the given age ranges.
  • info This chart details the percent of cardholders whose current credit limit utilization for this card falls within the given utilization ranges.
  • info This chart displays the average credit limit utilization for all holders of this card whose current credit score falls within the given score ranges.
  • info This chart displays the average credit limit utilization for all holders of this card whose current age falls within the given age ranges.
60+ Days Past Due Status
  • info This chart displays the percent of holders of this card that were 60+ days past due for the given month for the past year.
  • info This chart displays the percent of holders of this card that are currently 60+ days past due and whose current credit score falls within the given score range.
  • info This chart displays the average amount that is 60+ days past due for holders whose current credit score falls within the given score range.
Age of Cardholder
  • info This chart details the percent of cardholders whose current age falls within the given age ranges.
Sample Size: 10,935
Data Created: October 01, 2013

167 Cardholder Reviews

Results 1-10 of 167Results per page: 5 | 10 | 25Page 1 of 17   Previous | Next

Easiest Way to Get Credit Helpful to 7 out of 7 people

I applied for a Macys card in store hoping to get the amex card. I gave my info and got approved. When I asked how to get the amex version, the sales rep did not know and directed me to call customer service. I did, and they told me they'll submit a request to review my account for the amex version. No outcome had happened. After I finally got a brochure for the macys card, I found out that when you first apply, they already consider you for the amex. If you don't qualify, you'll just get the regular macys card unless you opted for just the macys in the first place.

Now, I am happy with the ease of applying and decision time. I'm not happy of the lack of knowledge on the workers' part. I use this card and pay in full.

At the time of application, I didn't have any open cards. But I have a $1200 limit from them.

ecq's review was:

Nov 15, 2012 Reply

ecq(11, 30)

Review by ecq

Top Contributor

The credit company has the same card name as the store, but it's as if they are comletely seperate except when it comes to purchases. The associates will not be able to help you besides calling credit for you.

Emma2020's reply was:

Jul 14, 2013

Emma2020(3, 2)

Review by Emma2020

CK/650 EQ/680 I was approved for card around Xmas time in 2011 with a $100 limit with a score around EQ 620, made purchases on card and paid off after every month.  In Feb-2012 I called their credit department to ask for a increase, and was given a $200 limit.  I continued to use and payoff every month.  In June-2012 I again called their credit department to ask about a credit line increase, the lady on the phone asked what I need the increase for and told her to help my credit standings.  She ask for my Gross yearly income, which is around $117K a year.  Was approved for a $2500 limit!

Jasonclark0424's review was:

Jul 18, 2012 Reply

Jasonclark0424(1, 13)

Review by Jasonclark0424

Been with Macy's for 6 years. Always paid balance in full and on time. Last month tried to charge $180 and denied. Nice. Paid with a Visa, and then called Credit Dept. on store phone, and they said the reason declined was that my CL was lowered from $300 to $100 due to little usage. (I only use it once or twice a year) Said they did this to all customers with inactive accounts. They did ask me if I would like to increase the CL (of course I would)----asked me to confirm address and phone #, and increased my limit to $1000. No hard pull involved.  Still left me with a bad taste in my mouth.

peterm00's review was:

Aug 14, 2012 Reply

peterm00(1, 4)

Review by peterm00

Macy's low limits are not worth it. Helpful to 7 out of 8 people

i was approved for $100 credit limit 1 year ago with a ck of 680, $100 really? well anyways that wasnt the worst of it every time i used my card i bought items under $50, my minimum payment was always $25 but i always paid off my $50 balance, I've always kept this routine. well one visit I bought a knife set for $50. The store i bought it at was having technical problems on the computer and they duplicated my order, thus meaning they charged me for 2 $50 knife set well I always pay in store and rarely check online well that was my biggest mistake my minimum payment jumped to $100 and my balance was $121 WHAT! was my reaction after logging onto credit karma. I immedietly logged onto macys website and it confirmed i then called macys and their customer service rep were the worst reps i have ever dealt with long story short they told me it was my fault for not paying attention and that they would refund me the credit limit but i would have to still pay the $100 seeing that im 90 DAYS LATE! well now my CK score is down to 560 because of them. I always WARN anyone thinking about getting a macys card.

melerz's review was:

May 27, 2013 Reply

melerz(1, 7)

Review by melerz

I was given a $600 credit limit recently before christmas and I have a 640ish score. This includes ten or so, old hospital bills and some other stuff in collections and 40k of student loan debt. I am ranked F on this site for delinquent accounts. I only declared a $35,000 yearly income. The only reason I have a 640 is because my on time payment history is %100 with 250+ on time payments over the last few years.

There had to be something on your credit report that sent up major red flags, that you are not mentioning or forgetting about. A 680 score should get higher than a $100 CL on a store charge card. The store wants you load it up and buy lots of stuff.

CZXL's reply was:

Dec 18, 2013

CZXL(1, 1)

Review by CZXL

Worst Credit Card EVER BE CAREFUL... This card has some magic no disclosed limit. Inturn when using the card it is a mystery if it will work or not. Very bad situations are created by this expect serious problems in stores come the Holidays. Macys will be putting customers in Danger as the Holidays become close. Customer Service is rude and has no remorse for treating you like a piece of garbage. I would neer deal with these people again. MACYS NEEDS TO FIND A NEW BANK FOR IT CREDIT CARDS. ANOTHER LOST CUSTOMER ....

bigreddrex's review was:

Oct 07, 2011 Reply

bigreddrex(4, 5)

Review by bigreddrex

They do have a "secret" credit limit.  When you go to charge something and you don't have enough available credit (the customer has no idea) and you are embarassed.  Company policy doesn't care that you are never told about a credit limit decrease.  I'd close the account but my credit rating would suffer, so I'm stuck.  I'll just pay it off and rarely, if ever, use it again.  Shame on Macy's for not caring enough about their customers.

Sep 24, 2011 Reply
Worst credit card ever!!! Helpful to 5 out of 6 people

I opened an account in Jan for a $52 balance. Had issues with paying online that I had to have one of their customer seervice reps help. However was a day late and I got charged $35 as a late fee but did not even know that until I received a call a week ago. No email or paper statements and by that time, I owed even more!!!! Worst customer service and dealings ever. No working with Macy's at all! I paid it off and closed my account. I will NEVER purchase a thing from Macy's ever again. I pity the poor souls who have a credit card with these people. Unbelievable that they even have customers after that experience.

May 19, 2013 Reply

I had essentially the identical experience.  I thought I had paid everything off (and had according to the rare warm body on the phone I was able to contact), however then I had the $2.00 "Fee" - not for interest as that is a seperate charge and was, ironically $0.00.

Terrible card, terrible company - will not shop there ever again.

prospero31's reply was:

Nov 26, 2013

prospero31(1, 2)

Review by prospero31

online payment system is a huge scam Helpful to 4 out of 5 people

I've had this card for 6 years.  Always paid the bills on time, and was always in good standing with the account.

Then one month, was late with the payment and saw that on the following month's bill.  Instead of paying it by sending a check, I wanted to take care of it right away and tried their online payment system for the first time.  Filled out the routing number, account number, double checked and everything looked fine when I submitted it.  Then a week later, I get a physical letter saying one of my checks bounced, with no information about which check.  I called customer service and they confirmed it was the online payment and said it was probably because I entered in the wrong numbers.  Probably?  Well, what numbers did I enter?  What did I get wrong?  Their system had NO INFORMATION about that.  So this smells like a giant scam at this point, if you're going to charge me $25 for a bounced check on top of the late fees for the payment, and you can't give me the proof of what I did wrong.

So now I don't trust the online payment system, so I decide to wait for the physical bill.  But guess what?  They decided to stop sending me the physical bills.  After waiting and waiting, I had to dig up the address to send my check to and included an angry letter about my experience.  No response so far.

So given my experience, I can only conclude that Departments Stores National Bank has no interest in helping customers pay bills on time.  They'd prefer to take every opportunity to squeeze fines out of you as soon as you make a mistake.  I pay 80% of my bills online and I have NEVER had such a ridiculous experience.  So I would NOT recommend this card.  The stress of this one prolonged incident, and the fact that it turned my final payment into 4 times the original fee because of the shortcomings of their own stupid system, has easily overshadowed the easy 6-year relationship I had with this card.

But even if you use this card, don't use their online payment system.

May 27, 2013 Reply
denied online, but approved in the store Helpful to 6 out of 8 people

I applied online & was denied, so the next day i went inside and applied and i was approved W/ 400 CL. not bad cause i hardly shop at macys, but got 15% cash back on my items that i purchased. great card to have ..

TU: 645 EQ: 565 EX:603

Kboplyrics's review was:

Nov 07, 2012 Reply

Kboplyrics(7, 17)

Review by Kboplyrics

Easy process Helpful to 3 out of 4 people

Macy's credit card is another great tool to better your credit score. (debt to credit ratio) Easy approval, mediocre CL ( $500.) Try not to carry any balance with this card.

Tommitomio's review was:

Feb 13, 2013 Reply

Tommitomio(19, 83)

Review by Tommitomio

Results 1-10 of 167Results per page: 5 | 10 | 25Page 1 of 17   Previous | Next

Add Your Review Of Macy's Credit Card

Cardholder Rating Distribution (167)

Macy’s Credit Card is provided by Department Stores National Bank (DSNB) for Macy’s customers. Interested customers can apply for a card online. Current cardholders can log into their online account to view their account information, pay their bill, manage their account and more. Cardholder benefits include discounts and special offers at Macy’s stores. Macy’s Credit Card is accepted at any Macy’s store.

Macy’s is a department store chain based in New York City. Macy's is well-known for the production of the annual Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade, which began in 1924. Founded in 1858, Macy’s carries women’s, men’s and kids fashion apparel and accessories, shoes perfume, handbags, bedding and more.

Macy's Credit Card