Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card Reviews

Cardholders' Choice i

• Balance Transfer Intro APR Not Applicable
  • Purchase Intro APR Not Applicable

Jun 06, 2019
Beware of being approved!
Cantbeat24 Cardholder

I applied and got approved for $6300 credit limit. Got the card in the mail, activated it. Got some more brochures a few days later. Before I even used the card, they closed the account. What? Then got an email saying that I had too many inquiries. I only have 3 and 1 was theirs. The other 2 were from a year ago. Will never do business with Chase in fear of them closing the account and being denied at the register.

Jun 13, 2019

I applied for a card because on credit karma that had an offer for 0 percent interest for 15 months on a balance transfer. Then after I got a approved, it read differently. Somehow, the application process got messed up and I was approved for this card instead. I would never apply for this card because it doesn’t offer balance transfers and there’s a $95 annual fee. The card I applied for had no annual fee. The customer service is disgusting. They are condescending and they insist it’s your mistake. I spoke to two supervisors, Uvia and Matthew and they were disgraceful.

Jun 18, 2019

Thank you for the heads up !

Jun 18, 2019

5/24? Could be the reason

Jul 11, 2019

I was approved, and at the apple store the card was declined. I called and they said my account in under review, im waiting until tomorrow to see if this is what happened to me as well, if so, everyone will be hearing of this from me, EVERYONE! This is HORRIBLE!!!

May 28, 2019
Horrible customer service
Larryly45 Cardholder

Got my card and the first purchase 849 insurance payment. Chase decided to freeze my card. After I pay the card in full. No call back to let me know about it. Had to find out from my insurance company. What a joke. Now waiting for the 849 refund from mail 10-16 days. Thank god I don’t really need it. Customer service is terrible. Going to try another company. Chase is black listed. Will never use any of its products again

Jun 13, 2019

So true!

Jul 17, 2019

What card without fee did you apply for?

May 14, 2019
Be careful! Rewards is with Third Party.
HuaMengLi Cardholder

According to a Chase representative, Chase Travel is handled by a third party. "Chase Travel is not really Chase" - Chase representative. They do not accept and correct their mistakes, instead they push the responsibility onto others. I lost over $2000 because of Chase. I booked 2 round-trip tickets through Chase Travel. There were issues with my flight, so I called Chase Travel for a solution. The representative offered and cancelled my entire flight and said that I have airline credit for those 2 tickets. Chase Travel sent me a "Cancelled Flight Credit Voucher" containing my airline credit amount, confirmation code, and itinerary number. However, when I tried to book, I could not use those credits. From then on, I spent 5 additional days in another country and over 200USD worth in phone bills from calling Chase. The following are the outcomes/responses/actions that occurred during those 20+ hours of phone calls: Chase would tell me that my airline credit is with the airline, therefore I need to book directly through the airline. I called to book with the airline, but they told me that they had no record of my credit and that these credits should be handled by the third party (Chase Travel). I called Chase back, Chase calls the airline, and the result is that my credit wasn’t approved (?) even though I received an official email voucher. I tell Chase it was their decision to cancel my flight (my party asked for the best solution to the missed flight and this was what Chase provided) so the responsibility should be on them. Chase tells me they need to check their recordings and investigate the situation, I tell them to call me back when the investigation is done, they never call me back. I called a couple more times to look for an immediate solution and one representative said they can fly me home the next day for a flight costing 2000 - 4000USD. I hung up and called again, a different representative said there is no flight until 3 weeks later. I hung up and booked a separate flight home by myself and went to a Chase Branch for assistance. I was informed there is nothing they could do except to make a call to Chase Travel and file for Chase Escalations. So we called Chase Travel for 2+ hours at the office and was told that I had made a call to them on a date that I did not. Then, I was told that the airline credit should have been refunded. When I said it was not, the representative said it is in the process of being refunded. I told her to give me information to check on that, so she said she will contact the ticketing department and put me on hold. I asked her to call me back when she has the confirmation about the refund, but she never did. The escalation was then filed, but it was the same exact thing that had been happening over my 20+ hours of phone call - they told me to contact the airline. I called the airline again because Chase Escalation’s representative was giving me attitude for not checking again, but the result was the same – the airline had no record. I called Chase Escalation to give them the update and now they are ignoring my calls. Before the escalations, there was also no record of my case. I had asked about call-back numbers, case numbers, names, but Chase would tell me there is none of that. I cannot contact them to follow-up. It has been over a month and this issue is still unsolved. Chase is great if there are no issues, but if there is… good luck.

May 28, 2019

Document everything and get the information for their legal department and inform them that you intend on filing a lawsuit. Trust me, that will light a fire under them and will get your problems resolved. If that fails follow through with the lawsuit. You will DEFINITELY win!!

Jan 11, 2019
BEWAREPoints are virtually worthless now
ouellette210 Cardholder

Don't let all these recent phoney reviews from low level Chase people cover the fact these traval points are now as worthless as bottle caps for Travel. You are now forced to book through Expedia were you will find greatly inflated prices for for very inconvient flight dates. Don't be fooled, this card is now garbage! I've stopped using it and won't be renewing it when the next $95 fee comes up/

Jan 12, 2019

No they’re still quite valuable when transferred to travel partners. By the way, I noticed you exclusively post negative reviews. Are there any credit-related products you do like?

Jan 17, 2019

Looks like he’s just mad at the world. Definitely has some issues.

Feb 27, 2019

atonpitbull and Rwt5691 CAN'T either one of you accept public criticism without being critical yourselves? Seems like both of you are truly mad at the World. This platform is created exclusively to allow any consumer to share their own experiences, and both of you need to refocus your hate on You-tube or Craigslist.

Feb 28, 2019

Right. All this coming from a person who gives everything negative one-star reviews. Yikes!

Mar 01, 2019

Worry about yourself idiot

Mar 10, 2019

Maybe his accounts keep getting cancelled because of abuse of cardholder agreements?

Jun 03, 2019

@atonpitbull How does transferring points to other travel partners work?

Dec 25, 2018
Horrible Customer Service
cclusetti Cardholder

I've had a sapphire preferred for 8 months and tried to upgrade to a sapphire reserved. Even thou I have a checking account and mortgage with Chase, they said I had to wait a year and that those are "all different products" so it doesn't matter. They do nothing to put loyal customers first. Pathetic. I plan to move my mortgage to a different bank as soon as interest rates are more favourable due to their poor customer experience.

Dec 27, 2018

It's federal law that you can't product change within 1 year of opening the account.

Dec 29, 2018

I'm sure they had their reasons, just having accounts with them doesn't entitle you to anything. Don't be spoiled, be patient, I'm sure your credit is better than mine, but I got the card, and I only have checking with them. No direct deposits, but lots of transfers in.

They have credit card rules that others don't, just getting the preferred was awesome. They also want you to use it the way it was designed. Didn't know the 1 year rule was law though.

Dec 29, 2018

Part of that federal law doesn’t allow banks to raise or lower your annual fee within the first year. This is why you can’t upgrade to the reserve or downgrade to a Freedom or Freedom Unlimited card. Once you’ve had it open more than a year, call them. They’ll switch it to any Ultimate Rewards card you want.

Feb 26, 2019

Interest rates have been VERY favorable for the last 8 years or so. They are moving. ...moving up. No offense but the fact you don't know that interest rates have been all time lows for quite awhile a rising, makes me question this negative review.

Feb 28, 2019

Is good that you weren’t able to upgrade, if you upgrade you will miss the chance to get the sign up bonus for the CSR

Nov 11, 2018
Instant approval-Instant Cancellation
ouellette210 Cardholder

Easy instant approval and send me a big thick envolope with all the suppossed reat great benefits along with card. Then they cancel it before I can even activate the card. What the heck is wrong with this place. Why even send a card out. I got a hard pull on my credit for nothing. No reason given for this awful treatment. Stay the heck away from Chase.

Nov 12, 2018

So ask for a reason then. Quit coming on here and logging in to different accounts just to leave multiple bad reviews. Yah, I see through the smoke and mirrors, buddy.

Dec 29, 2018

Did you even TRY to see what went wrong?

Apr 01, 2019

Next time don't lie on the application

Nov 11, 2018
Chase treats you like dirt
SCHNOODLE3 Cardholder

Chase asked me to apply for this card from my Chase account web site, I have a 25 plus year relationship of of credit cards and bank accounts with Chase. They gave me instant approval, sent me the card 5 days latter, I logged in online a couple latter and the account is closed. No explanation, no letter sent. I'm done with you Chase. This is why you don't do business with Chase, expext to be treated like this.

Nov 12, 2018

You should've called and been persistent until you got an answer as to why. The squeaky wheel gets the grease, yo.

Nov 10, 2018
Memmzz Cardholder

SUCKS they will approve you send you a card before you get a statement the card is turned off don’t apply stay away

Nov 12, 2018

Dunno what you're talking about. They didn't do that to me.

Dec 03, 2018

I just had the same thing happen to me

Oct 10, 2018
They will close your account for nothing
Zamont Cardholder

The Chase Sapphire is great for the sign up bonus only. Dont go over 50 percent on another card or they will close your account and try to ruin your credit building dreams. They still sending me crazy pre approved letters but I trash them immediately. I stand behind American Express, Discover, Capital one, and navy federal because they left my limits the same and my accounts are still open. Also, Chase have the highest rates on airline tickets so you absolutely can't purchase tickets from their website

Oct 13, 2018

I just booked a ticket to Alaska on the chase ultimate rearwards site, but before I did I checked the American express travel site and the tickets I found - same airline, same departure times, same class- were about $50 cheaper on Chase.

Sep 12, 2018
gattu05 Cardholder

So I have this card from last 2 years and finally I decided to use it for my education and joined an institution, my training wasn't done right the way they promised so I decided to leave and requested a refund and blocked my card even after blocking my card CHASE still let the merchant use the card even though it went over my spending limit by $3000..so I disputed the charges but CHASE didn't support me or got my money back instead they went with the Merchant and merchant still owes me $2300 and chase is telling me to deal with the merchant..now i have requested a refund from merchant but he is saying he has refunded the money back on my card but CHASE is saying they haven't received the money and nothing they can do about it. SO NEVER EVER GET THIS CARD...AS LONG AS EVERYTHING GOES SMOOTH THEY ARE WITH YOU BUT IN CASE OF DISPUTE CHASE IS NOT WITH THEIR CARD HOLDER BECAUSE ANYWAYS THEY NEED A BIGGER BILL THE BIGGER THE BILL THE BIGGER IS INTEREST AND THEIR INCOME.....

Sep 13, 2018

This is an unfortunate incident, I grant you...but it's not indicative of what this card is capable of, nor is it necessarily an accurate portrayal, on the whole, of Chase's customer service in general. This card is helping me and my wife go on our honeymoon for free next year, and my points transfer to IHG was extremely seamless.

Credit Score
Credit Limit
60+ Days Past Due Status
Age of Cardholder

Sample Size: 1,304
Data Created: February 02, 2015

Note: Sample data consists of Credit Karma members who hold this card.

Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card