Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card Reviews

Cardholders' Choice i

• Balance Transfer Intro APR Not Applicable
  • Purchase Intro APR Not Applicable

Jan 11, 2019
BEWAREPoints are virtually worthless now
ouellette210 Cardholder

Don't let all these recent phoney reviews from low level Chase people cover the fact these traval points are now as worthless as bottle caps for Travel. You are now forced to book through Expedia were you will find greatly inflated prices for for very inconvient flight dates. Don't be fooled, this card is now garbage! I've stopped using it and won't be renewing it when the next $95 fee comes up/

Jan 12, 2019

No they’re still quite valuable when transferred to travel partners. By the way, I noticed you exclusively post negative reviews. Are there any credit-related products you do like?

Jan 17, 2019

Looks like he’s just mad at the world. Definitely has some issues.

Feb 27, 2019

atonpitbull and Rwt5691 CAN'T either one of you accept public criticism without being critical yourselves? Seems like both of you are truly mad at the World. This platform is created exclusively to allow any consumer to share their own experiences, and both of you need to refocus your hate on You-tube or Craigslist.

Feb 28, 2019

Right. All this coming from a person who gives everything negative one-star reviews. Yikes!

Mar 01, 2019

Worry about yourself idiot

Mar 10, 2019

Maybe his accounts keep getting cancelled because of abuse of cardholder agreements?

Dec 25, 2018
Horrible Customer Service
cclusetti Cardholder

I've had a sapphire preferred for 8 months and tried to upgrade to a sapphire reserved. Even thou I have a checking account and mortgage with Chase, they said I had to wait a year and that those are "all different products" so it doesn't matter. They do nothing to put loyal customers first. Pathetic. I plan to move my mortgage to a different bank as soon as interest rates are more favourable due to their poor customer experience.

Dec 27, 2018

It's federal law that you can't product change within 1 year of opening the account.

Dec 29, 2018

I'm sure they had their reasons, just having accounts with them doesn't entitle you to anything. Don't be spoiled, be patient, I'm sure your credit is better than mine, but I got the card, and I only have checking with them. No direct deposits, but lots of transfers in.

They have credit card rules that others don't, just getting the preferred was awesome. They also want you to use it the way it was designed. Didn't know the 1 year rule was law though.

Dec 29, 2018

Part of that federal law doesn’t allow banks to raise or lower your annual fee within the first year. This is why you can’t upgrade to the reserve or downgrade to a Freedom or Freedom Unlimited card. Once you’ve had it open more than a year, call them. They’ll switch it to any Ultimate Rewards card you want.

Feb 26, 2019

Interest rates have been VERY favorable for the last 8 years or so. They are moving. ...moving up. No offense but the fact you don't know that interest rates have been all time lows for quite awhile a rising, makes me question this negative review.

Feb 28, 2019

Is good that you weren’t able to upgrade, if you upgrade you will miss the chance to get the sign up bonus for the CSR

Nov 11, 2018
Instant approval-Instant Cancellation
ouellette210 Cardholder

Easy instant approval and send me a big thick envolope with all the suppossed reat great benefits along with card. Then they cancel it before I can even activate the card. What the heck is wrong with this place. Why even send a card out. I got a hard pull on my credit for nothing. No reason given for this awful treatment. Stay the heck away from Chase.

Nov 12, 2018

So ask for a reason then. Quit coming on here and logging in to different accounts just to leave multiple bad reviews. Yah, I see through the smoke and mirrors, buddy.

Dec 29, 2018

Did you even TRY to see what went wrong?

Apr 01, 2019

Next time don't lie on the application

Nov 11, 2018
Chase treats you like dirt
SCHNOODLE3 Cardholder

Chase asked me to apply for this card from my Chase account web site, I have a 25 plus year relationship of of credit cards and bank accounts with Chase. They gave me instant approval, sent me the card 5 days latter, I logged in online a couple latter and the account is closed. No explanation, no letter sent. I'm done with you Chase. This is why you don't do business with Chase, expext to be treated like this.

Nov 12, 2018

You should've called and been persistent until you got an answer as to why. The squeaky wheel gets the grease, yo.

Nov 10, 2018
Memmzz Cardholder

SUCKS they will approve you send you a card before you get a statement the card is turned off don’t apply stay away

Nov 12, 2018

Dunno what you're talking about. They didn't do that to me.

Dec 03, 2018

I just had the same thing happen to me

Oct 10, 2018
They will close your account for nothing
Zamont Cardholder

The Chase Sapphire is great for the sign up bonus only. Dont go over 50 percent on another card or they will close your account and try to ruin your credit building dreams. They still sending me crazy pre approved letters but I trash them immediately. I stand behind American Express, Discover, Capital one, and navy federal because they left my limits the same and my accounts are still open. Also, Chase have the highest rates on airline tickets so you absolutely can't purchase tickets from their website

Oct 13, 2018

I just booked a ticket to Alaska on the chase ultimate rearwards site, but before I did I checked the American express travel site and the tickets I found - same airline, same departure times, same class- were about $50 cheaper on Chase.

Sep 12, 2018
gattu05 Cardholder

So I have this card from last 2 years and finally I decided to use it for my education and joined an institution, my training wasn't done right the way they promised so I decided to leave and requested a refund and blocked my card even after blocking my card CHASE still let the merchant use the card even though it went over my spending limit by $3000..so I disputed the charges but CHASE didn't support me or got my money back instead they went with the Merchant and merchant still owes me $2300 and chase is telling me to deal with the merchant..now i have requested a refund from merchant but he is saying he has refunded the money back on my card but CHASE is saying they haven't received the money and nothing they can do about it. SO NEVER EVER GET THIS CARD...AS LONG AS EVERYTHING GOES SMOOTH THEY ARE WITH YOU BUT IN CASE OF DISPUTE CHASE IS NOT WITH THEIR CARD HOLDER BECAUSE ANYWAYS THEY NEED A BIGGER BILL THE BIGGER THE BILL THE BIGGER IS INTEREST AND THEIR INCOME.....

Sep 13, 2018

This is an unfortunate incident, I grant you...but it's not indicative of what this card is capable of, nor is it necessarily an accurate portrayal, on the whole, of Chase's customer service in general. This card is helping me and my wife go on our honeymoon for free next year, and my points transfer to IHG was extremely seamless.

Jun 03, 2018
They will cancel you for pettiness.
Zamont Cardholder

They will cancel you for anything even if you maintain a excellemt credit score.. Some prime examples are if you have a zero balance but you apply for additional cards they will cancel you, also if one of your credit cards reach a fifty percent balance chase will automaically cancel you, if you add more than four authorize users they will cancel you. This is a card that I will never reapply for and I deeply regret filling the application out. It was a major time waster.

Jun 07, 2018

A big part of the reason they are more petty is the surge in credit card abusers for points.

Jun 08, 2018

Very strange I have never had any issues like this.

Jun 12, 2018

How did you get cancelled that many times?.... sounds like a crock to me

Jul 29, 2018

Sounds like you dont have good habits

Aug 16, 2018

LMAO!

Mar 23, 2019

Why would you add so many people to one card? Doesn't make sense.

Jun 03, 2018
Terrible customer service
Anonymous Cardholder

They told me they can't remove an unauthorized charge on my account because I gave the merchant my card. The hotel had correctly charged my account for two days, but then they charged it 4 days later for 4 more days, when they should have billed my company. The hotel keeps sending me to voice mail, and won't return my calls, and Chase said I have to pay if the hotel didn't bill my company, but if course they didn't bill my company bc they incorrectly billed me, and I can't get ahold of them to fix it.

Jun 07, 2018

You're upset because they are making you pay for a purchase you made. On your card. And the hotel you stayed at won't fix the problem?
This sounds like a personal problem. Not an actual card problem.

Jun 08, 2018

This isn't Chase's fault. You used the card and are now responsible. You should be upset with your employer, not Chase.

Jun 27, 2018

This has no business here

Jul 04, 2018

This is an EASY legal issue (you win..hands down) IF you know the law and use it.

Jul 13, 2018

If anyone needed to contact a credit card company they should be willing to do a thorough job in resolving an issue and not just pass the buck or push it along

May 01, 2018
Anonymous Cardholder

This is a new card and I believe they have problems. They close the accounts of everyone I know when you reach maximum points even when you pay it completely off and have a 0 balance. I currently have a $500 credit and am have trouble getting it back.

May 08, 2018

Um...what? This makes literally zero sense and has no business on here.

May 09, 2018

Just got approved for $12.2k starting. They had me at 2 weeks when I called the line. I had to verify some things of suspicion of fraud, once verified I was approved immediately. Prior to this my credit score was pretty low, i applied for chase many times and got denied. They like to see you have atleast a year of credit history as well as total limit going over $5k as that is the card minimum. My TU and EQ are at 729, my equifax is at 701 after i applied. I have a total of 10 HP. Its a lot of pulls but was still able to get my foot in the door with a rather large SL. Im a happy customer. Hope this helps and I cant wait to use my card! :D

Credit Score
Credit Limit
60+ Days Past Due Status
Age of Cardholder

Sample Size: 1,304
Data Created: February 02, 2015

Note: Sample data consists of Credit Karma members who hold this card.

Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card