3.9

Feb 06 2019
Best card, best service ever!

I love my USAA AMEX card! I get cash on all my purchases and the customer service is phenomenal. There is no annual fee and no interest if you pay your balance in full by the due date. What more could you ask for?

Aug 16 2018
Limitations on cash back

This card offers great rewards for gas and grocery. However, I won't be using it again after my introductory bonus. The reason is simple. If you want to apply rewards to USAA accounts or donate to charity, you can do both. Cool. If, on the other hand, you have a specific strategy for cash back that is not in the USAA world, you are out of luck. There isn't a way to transfer rewards to a connected non-USAA account. Nor is there a way to get a check mailed. You are forced to use the rewards in the USAA universe. Another drawback: the rewards program is run by a third-party. Perhaps there are ways around these limitations but they aren't solved online and I didn't want to waste time with customer service.

Feb 06 2020
Great Card - Follow up to previous post.

Three months after my last post, the USAA card started giving my me all my proper rewards again. Not sure if it was a coincidence after I posted my previous post or not, but everything is good again. I again get 5% back from all On-Base purchases including the on-base golf course. Sign me "Happy Camper" in Washington State!

Jul 20 2019
Card No Longer Works for Base Purchases

I do NOT recommend that anyone get the USAA Cashback Rewards Plus AMEX if they want to get the 5% back on base purchases. I made several transactions at the Navy Exchange, which should code according to the card's rewards terms and conditions as a base purchase. "Qualifying Purchases on Military Bases" are Qualifying Purchases made at businesses that are included in a merchant category identified as primarily selling goods and/or services on United States military bases (such as commissaries, exchanges and shoppettes). These transactions, however, coded as 1 cent per dollar cash back. When I called USAA to inquire I was told that it is up to the individual Exchange on how they code the transaction based on items I purchase. He said I could get back anywhere from 1 cent, 2 cents, 3 cents, etc. depending on what I buy. I bought some baby supplies and clothing, but apparently these items didn't qualify. I've heard of merchants coding incorrectly, but this excuse of individual items coding incorrectly does not sound right. I read that these base merchants (Exchanges, Commissaries, Gas Stations) no longer code as "Government Service" but now as "General Merchandise," which will not trigger the 5%. Ultimately if this is true, then this card is now promoted on the basis of false advertisement. It's ridiculous that USAA won't honor their 5% category, which was the main sticking point in getting this card and that I have to hope for the 5%, which apparently is unlikely. Beyond telling me it's up to the merchant, they did nothing to rectify the problem. I don't use it for gas since I live right next to a Costco which has vastly cheaper prices than base, but doesn't accept AMEX, so I use my Costco Anywhere VISA that earns 4% back.

Jul 05 2019
Great card with limitations

I have had this card for over a year now. At first I was getting 5% back from all military base purchases. But then in April 2019 the Exchange, Commissary, Gas station all changed their Merchant codes from "government Service" to "general merchandise" (NEX), "Supermarket" (Commissary) and "Gas Service" (gas station). USAA states they won't give the 5% rewards unless the Merchant code is Government Service. So now this once great card is just like any other credit card. Will probably cancel it.

Apr 27 2019
Must be Military

Looks like you have to be military to get qualified. That sucks

Feb 06 2019
Best card, best service ever!

Sep 18 2018
Great cash back

5% on gas and military base purchases 3%on groceries

Aug 16 2018
Limitations on cash back

Jul 24 2018
Denied for reasons unknown

I had no credit so I applied for and got the secured AMEX with usaa. Payments never missed or late during 2-3 yr timeframe so I finally applied for this unsecured card. I was quickly denied but was also offered a secured AMEX (wait, what???). Waited even longer with even more on time payments and got denied again. My banking accounts were all up to par with no negative activity, so what gives? I even tried a car loan and got denied by usaa with the same account history. I talked to a loan rep about this and got no real reason or help. I even told him that Navy Federal offered me a loan after just recently opening an account with them but wanted to give my business to usaa since I was with them for so long. Can you believe he told me to take the loan with NFCU and to try back with usaa in several months?!?!? I took his advice and accepted the NFCU loan along with an unsecured credit card and never looked back.

Jun 04 2018
The best for cash back on gas.

I got this card because I'm a vet and was looking for something better than the Citi 2X cash card I use for everything except gas. This card gives 5% back on gas up to $3000 / year. I have had this card about 18 months and it is very easy to get the cash back via a credit to your account. The only place that I have found that does not accept this card is Sam's Club Gas, (gas station only). I am sure that knowing how cheap Walmart is, WM probably refuses to pay this card's commission. Other than that, card is perfect for the reason I got it.

Dec 17 2017
Best card to use on post!

Got this card with $6000 initial credit. Not enough but I can't care less because I am not spending over $3000 on post. This is perfect card if you use it with Military star card and/or costco credit card. The cash back is easy to redeem but just be aware that you cannot use it to pay off last statement balance. You can only apply it against current period balance. Other than that, I am very happy with this card.