• Balance Transfer Intro APR Not Applicable
  • Purchase Intro APR Not Applicable

Jul 20, 2019
Card No Longer Works for Base Purchases
CreditAstute Cardholder

I do NOT recommend that anyone get the USAA Cashback Rewards Plus AMEX if they want to get the 5% back on base purchases. I made several transactions at the Navy Exchange, which should code according to the card’s rewards terms and conditions as a base purchase.

"Qualifying Purchases on Military Bases" are Qualifying Purchases made at businesses that are included in a merchant category identified as primarily selling goods and/or services on United States military bases (such as commissaries, exchanges and shoppettes).

These transactions, however, coded as 1 cent per dollar cash back. When I called USAA to inquire I was told that it is up to the individual Exchange on how they code the transaction based on items I purchase. He said I could get back anywhere from 1 cent, 2 cents, 3 cents, etc. depending on what I buy. I bought some baby supplies and clothing, but apparently these items didn’t qualify. I’ve heard of merchants coding incorrectly, but this excuse of individual items coding incorrectly does not sound right.

I read that these base merchants (Exchanges, Commissaries, Gas Stations) no longer code as “Government Service” but now as "General Merchandise," which will not trigger the 5%. Ultimately if this is true, then this card is now promoted on the basis of false advertisement.

It’s ridiculous that USAA won’t honor their 5% category, which was the main sticking point in getting this card and that I have to hope for the 5%, which apparently is unlikely. Beyond telling me it’s up to the merchant, they did nothing to rectify the problem.

I don’t use it for gas since I live right next to a Costco which has vastly cheaper prices than base, but doesn’t accept AMEX, so I use my Costco Anywhere VISA that earns 4% back.

Jul 05, 2019
Great card with limitations
Islander01 Cardholder

I have had this card for over a year now.  At first I was getting 5% back from all military base purchases.  But then in April 2019 the Exchange, Commissary, Gas station all changed their Merchant codes from "government Service" to "general merchandise" (NEX), "Supermarket" (Commissary) and "Gas Service" (gas station).  USAA states they won't give the 5% rewards unless the Merchant code is Government Service. So now this once great card is just like any other credit card.  Will probably cancel it.

Jul 14, 2019

Just posting to state this is true. Found out after reviewing my rewards recently. Was a GREAT card and now is "meh" at best.

Feb 06, 2019
Best card, best service ever!
alecat316 Cardholder

I love my USAA AMEX card! I get cash on all my purchases and the customer service is phenomenal. There is no annual fee and no interest if you pay your balance in full by the due date. What more could you ask for?

USAA® Cashback Rewards Plus American Express® Card