Hilton Honors™ Surpass® Card from American Express Reviews

• Balance Transfer Intro APR Not Applicable
  • Purchase Intro APR Not Applicable

Our Take

f you’re a frequent traveler, the Hilton Honors™ Surpass® Card from American Express is definitely worth considering.

What to Like

The Hilton Honors™ Surpass® Card from American Express offers all sorts of rewards. For starters, cardholders can get 100,000 Hilton Honors™ Bonus Points after spending $3,000 in purchases in the first 3 months. You can also earn 12x points at participating hotels and resorts, 6x points at U.S. restaurants, U.S. supermarkets and U.S. gas stations and 3x points on all other purchases.

Look Out For

This card comes with a $75 annual fee. There are also balance transfer and foreign transaction fees, and a high Penalty APR that can be applied after missed payments.

May 09, 2017
Excellent sign up bonus
jagrawr Cardholder

Signed up for this card with a 100k Hilton Honors points sign up bonus after $3k spend in 3 months, as well as earn a free weekend night on the anniversary of card approval. Because I value Hilton Honors points at half a cent per point and a free weekend night at $250 based on my particular habits, I value the overall sign up bonus as being worth $750. With a $75 annual fee (that I would have to pay twice to get the free weekend night), my net value from the sign up bonus would be $600. Past the sign up bonus, I don't really find much value from the card and don't see myself keeping it past two years. i will likely downgrade to the no fee Hilton HHonors card when my 3rd annual fee comes due.

Some of the most compelling benefits of the Surpass card include earning 12X points for Hilton purchases and complimentary Hilton HHonors Gold status. I already had Hilton Gold status prior to having this card, so that benefit didn't make a difference for me. As for earning 12X points, I don't take advantage of it because of the 2.7% foreign transaction fee. While I stay at Hilton properties a fair amount, most of my travel is inernational, not domestic, so I opt to use cards without foreign transaction fees over this one even when booking Hilton properties. Furthermore, unlike the Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve card, the free weekend night is a one-time benefit, not an annual one with minimum spend.

Overall, the Amex Hilton Honors Surpass has an excellent sign up bonus, but, for me, not worth keeping once those sign up bonuses have been earned due to the presence of foreign transaction fees.

Hilton Honors™ Surpass® Card from American Express