Cardholders' Choice i

• Purchase Regular APR See Terms*

Oct 30, 2019
Undeserved cresit line decrease
Jsgagne Cardholder

I have had this card for a year and use it regularly. My initial credit limit was 2000, and over the past year I my EVERY payment ON TIME or early and always more than the minimum payment. They just decreased my credit line to 1000 for no reason! I will be paying this card off and closing it this week, this is no way yo repay loyal, responsible customers. Terrible service, very disappointed!!!

Oct 30, 2019

This is a charge card. You do t have a credit limit per day but you do have a limit on spending power. The less you use it the less you get.

Nov 05, 2019

Review of the wrong card

Nov 08, 2019

Charge cards have no limits only spending power

Jun 30, 2019
Mom112347 Cardholder

They treat their long times customers like crap ! No thanks American Express gold, big deal

May 14, 2019
bad rewards value and hidden fees
bprice Cardholder

Quick version:

- Rewards can't be cashed in for full value: 50,000 points are only worth about $125 in cash rewards (vs $500 advertised and what is typical of other credit rewards programs)

- Hidden Fee: If you cancel the card within the first year, before paying the annual fee that's deferred 1 year, they charge you $500 if you spent the rewards points

- Travel perks are not great compared to other rewards cards that have lower annual fees (no free TSA pre-check perk)

I got this American Express Gold Premier Rewards credit card because it had a 50,000 point sign on bonus and the annual fee was deferred the first year.  I have signed up for about a dozen credit cards over the years for sign up bonuses like this and always cancel the card within a year to avoid annual fees.  I have a credit score around 800 and was quickly approved online. I used the card and earned the 50k bonus rewards points but when I went to redeem I discovered that the rewards through American Express can't be redeemed for $500 as advertised. If you want to use the points for statement credits or a cash out, they only redeem it at about 25% value (even in travel expenses). You might be able to get $500 value if you redeem it for select airline partners (not the ones I frequent) or through companies like Orbitz (note if you book flights through Orbitz and the flight is overbooked, you'll be first on the list booted from the flight. Always book from airlines directly when possible). Most of the gift card options don't even provide $500 value for the 50k points. The travel perks also were underwhelming despite the hype. Other credit companies like Barclaycard offer much better rewards and include perks like free TSA pre-check registration. I decided to cash out my points for restaraunt gift cards about 10 months into having my card and close my account. When I called to close the account, I was told that I would be charged a $500 fee because in the terms I'm required to keep the card at least a year and pay the annual fee. I explained that was not clear to me when I signed up for the account and I already redeemed the 50k rewards (for a value less than $500). They told me it didn't matter, they'd send me a copy of the terms and my only choices were to pay the fee if I close the account early or keep the card past a year and pay a bigger annual fee. I went to their website and downloaded the terms from their website and I still can't find anywhere in the terms that it explains I must keep the card at least a year or pay a penalty fee. It appears that on their website they have different terms for the American Express Gold Card than the terms used when you sign up with sign-up bonus rewards perks (which I cannot find anywhere on their website or within my online account). I still have another account with them, the Blue Cash Rewards card but only because it's one of my older accounts (over 8 years) and it doesn't have annual fees (I don't use it ever because the rewards aren't competitive with other cards).

Sep 02, 2019

So you tried to cheat the system and got played
That’s credit ‘karma’for ya lol

Sep 04, 2019

Lol, this guy tries to get points, cancel the card before the annual fee causing these companies to lose money, and he thinks they are suppose to just let him go? You’re a joke bro!!!
Good for American Express making sure they charged you for what their points were worth. Chase has the 5/24 rule because of customers like you. You should not be allowed to get point based credit cards!!

May 09, 2019
Got approved for the card with 700 score

Got approved after fighting for weeks for the card and did a complaint. very unprofessional people with an indian accent and arrogant. it is called american express yet the customer service is in india or in the uk? dodgy? i moved and didnt fet any letter about paying the annual fee. i got an email to pay and when i tried to pay the 250 THEY CANCELLED MY ACCOUNT AND CARD WITHOUT ANT COMMUNICATION ON THEIR END.! I CALLED TO ASK FOR THE CARD BACK AND THEY DENIED IT AGAIN! I disputed this and asked the mangaer to look into if as THEY NEVER WARNED ME OF CANCELING THE CARD OR NEVER EMAILED ME! THEY HAVE THE AUDACITY TO JUST CANCEL WITHOUT ONE EMAIL, TEXT, CALL NOTHING! WOW WOW. I want the card back to use it to build my credit and if they deny it again i will file a complaint with the BBB AND FTC FOR MISCOMMUNICATION OF MY ACCOUNT! My credit score was only 10 points difference and they are purposely trying to hurt people. I want to get approved to build my credit again but would never recommend them again.

May 11, 2019

Racist

May 21, 2019

I’m glad they cancelled your account. You sound too ignorant and whiney to be a customer of theirs.

Jun 02, 2019

A credit card issuer can cancel your account at any time. If your attitude on the phone was similar to your racist rant above, I’m not surprised they fired you as a customer.

Jun 04, 2019

People are so quick to label someone a 'racist' because they don't like their tone or use of grammar - grow up.

Jul 15, 2019

"ANGRYAMERICANEXPRESSUSER" your story doesn't even make sense. The fee for AMEX cards appears in your first statement. If you waited for some kind of email reminder to pay it, that implies that it must have been overdue. Especially since you say you had to "fight for weeks for the card" (whatever that means), if any of this story is even true it probably indicates that you were considered "marginal at best" by AMEX and when you required an email reminder to make a payment they made the decision to cut you loose.

Jul 22, 2019

You want to build your credit? Get yourself a Barclay card. Will do the the job just fine.

Apr 23, 2019
HORRID Customer Service!
sydebotham Cardholder

I applied and was approved for this AMEX Gold card. 10 minutes later I noticed that it was a "charge" card and not a "credit" card. I called customer service and canceled within 5 min of approval. I called AMEX back to see if they could pull remove the hard pull from my report due to my own ignorance, but was hopefull they could work with me. After 47min on the phone, and being directed to multiple departments (4), I finally reached an agent who spoke fluent english. She stated how bad she felt that I recieved such poor service and connected me to the proper "credit inquiry" section. Once connected, the line was so horried that the overseas agent could not "hear" me. I just hung up the phone. A total of 1 hour and 7 minutes was wasted. I am so glad I decided to cancel this card seeing their customer service first hand. If I had kept this card, and had an actual problem, there is no way I trust they would have helped.

Apr 24, 2019

Come on, seriously? You're reviewing a card that you never shoulda applied for cuz you didn't realize it was a charge card...

Apr 26, 2019

You sent a bad review for your own ignorance!? LOL

May 13, 2019

I've never had a problem with CS. Amex is a great company.

May 14, 2019

How much more time did you waste writing this useless review?

Feb 02, 2019
Ripoff phony reward programs
drtuttle15 Cardholder

Considering Amex is NOT accepted everywhere, I decided to have a shot at this card. After only six months of successfully using this card, they stopped the rewards program without reason whatsoever. I had to call every time and wait more than an hour over the phone to get connected to a living person and claim my points after proving them each transaction for wish I should have been awarded the corresponding points.

It’s even more deceiving when they state that since this is not a conventional credit card, they don’t report to the credit institutions, but after closing my account, it was automatically posted in my credit report.

Stay away folks.

Feb 04, 2019

My payments are reported every month on the three major credit reporting agencies, and my points are updated every month. I assume that there may have been an issue/error with your account.

Feb 05, 2019

More like an issue/error with the cardholder. Same thing happened with this individual’s other Amex after the same period of time. I see a trend here. Lol

Jan 14, 2019
kull46 Cardholder

The annual fee is outrageous, of course they show excellent approval odds. I thought credit karma would want to help people instead of selling out to promote predatory lending scams.

I’m very disappointed in credi karma, time to move on. Sad, very sad

Jan 16, 2019

Predatory lending? This is a no interest rate charge card! You can use the funds and earn rewards points for swiping the card. My rewards point outweigh my annual fee easily!

Apr 08, 2019

kull46, you would be doing yourself a great favor by researching exactly what this card is meant to be used for.

Jan 12, 2019
Points are not worth close to what you

I’ve tried twice to explain my huge disappointment with trying to use American Express points and my review was timed out. Short version the point can’t be used for what you think

all travel must be booked thru American Express agents at a 4 times normal price that anyone can book on their own. I wish I could farther explain but I’ll be timed out again.

Jan 12, 2019

Not true. You can transfer points to airlines or hotels.

Jan 12, 2019

Yah, pretty much the whole point is to transfer points to air or hotel programs. That's why TPG values them at nearly 2 cents per point.

Jan 12, 2019

Yup. Transfer is the only way you should be using points. Anything else is a waste.

Jan 26, 2019

Who doesn't transfer points?

Mar 01, 2019

You could write review in Word and then paste it here in a second :) You wouldn't be timed out this way.

May 14, 2019

I don't get why people are defending the rewards program saying you get good value if you transfer the points to an airline partner. They have a limited number of airline partners to choose from and of course it's a better deal to transfer to an airline, they sell their miles at a huge discount to $ value to promote use of their airline. I'd rather have a card that provides full value rewards with any airline of my choice. Other credit cards like the Barclaycard are great for this and have overall better rewards programs and service for a lower annual fee.

Jan 11, 2019
Jefp1 Cardholder

Applied for this card in December 9, 2018 and now being billed for a annual fee of 250 for a card I have not used or reap the benefits for a full month. Get chase preferred has same benefits and no annual fee. This card is a joke just looks nice overall. I guess I figured I would get billed the annual fee after a 12 month or so but was wrong!

Jan 13, 2019

Well you learned your lesson... READ the terms before applying. No where in AMEX says that the AF is waived for this card.

Feb 02, 2019

Csp only wave the annual fee for the first year. And no they dont have the same benefits . Csp dont have points for supermarkets

Jan 07, 2019
High fee for off-shore customer service
ascutt Cardholder

I had this card for 6 months...my FICO dipped to 760 for an eronious collection account. I resolved the collection quickly and my score was repaired. During this process, AMEX thought it would be a good idea to place a 2k limit on my gold card. That's right...a 2k limit on a $250 per year gold card. I called to get some help and I got India. I expect on-shore suppoort for this kind of card AMEX. Then your friendly off-shore person would not help me, said the underwriting decision had been made. I cancelled the card, I don't need to pay AMEX $250 when I have plenty of other choices...bad underwriting decisions guys. Enjoy paying $250 a year to talk to India!

Jan 10, 2019

You talk about 760 like that’s bad, something else made you receive only 2k limit and that wasn’t the Indian representative that’s here to help you.

Mar 04, 2019

Lmbo!!!!!!

Jun 02, 2019

1- it’s a charge card. There is no pre-set limit
2- Amex determines your maximum available balance on your historical spend. While the formula is proprietary, a rough estimate is that they’ll let you charge ~3x your maximum balance over a rolling 3-month period. So if you only ever had $650-$700 on your card at any given time, a $2,000 max makes sense.
3- cut out the racism. It’s unbecoming and unnecessary.

Credit Score
Credit Limit
60+ Days Past Due Status
Age of Cardholder

Sample Size: 125
Data Created: February 02, 2015

Note: Sample data consists of Credit Karma members who hold this card.

American Express® Gold Card