• Balance Transfer Intro APR 0% for 12 Months
  • Purchase Intro APR 0% for 12 Months

May 08, 2019
Good Card!!
cripple2 Cardholder

I have had this card over two years. They gave me a HIGH LIMIT compared to almost everyone else. answer your questions, and provide good service. They dont hassle you on purchases like other banks calling you to see if you REALLY bought that Big Screen TV  and stop your POS purcahse like some other horrible banks., I do not keep cards whertre they question every purchase. The application process is easy compared to most other banks. I have a fairly decent Cash access (vs straight credit) as well .I do not see the nergatives .  I have NOT used the card in 10 months (didnt need it) and they have NOT reduced my line of credit. I dont even need a credit increase I am satisifed with an  over 8K limit as I have many other cards. They DID stop a number of benefits to the card but still has many features other cards may not offer such as car rental insurane. You need a credit score over 680 to to really get good use out of the card

May 29, 2019
Review the list of where you earn cash!
LionheartLeo Cardholder

Beware that Walmart, Target, and Amazon are NOT on the approved grocery stores. Which means that you will not get 6% shopping there for groceries, only 1%. Also, not all gas stations either. Not happy about 95 annual fee but it's very easy to earn the 250 bonus.

Jun 14, 2019
EXTORTION
Wifey1Sock Cardholder

Last time I ever use a AMEX card, was originally approved for 8k. Now after a few months they randomly decide to lower my CL on multiple cards to obscene amounts forcing my accounts to their max. After I called them to ask what's going on they are demanding early payment on the balance in exchange for the credit limit back. THIS IS EXTORTION. I WILL NEVER USE AMEX AGAIN.

I used to rave about Amex customer service and features, now I will tell everyone to stay away for the EXTORTIONIST company AMEX.

Jun 18, 2019

Some’s salty. Extortion? Lol. Make your payments on time bum

Jul 03, 2019

There's a reason they're asking you to pay down your balances. Chances are, you have other credit cards or lenders, besides Amex, that are reporting ONE OR MORE of the following to your CBR: high balances, other accts near their credit limits, overall total balances to credit limit ratio is high; 1 or more late payments or a significant change in Credit Score; just to name a few.

These could trigger a lender that you have an established relationship with to change the terms, like APR, or lower the credit limit, like what happened to yourself.
It's nothing personal, it's business because they're reassessing your overall risk.

Even if none of these applies to your situation, your overall balance between all lenders not being paid down or a pattern of your balances increasing. Even with a current lender, if your balance never changes and is always increasing, or is always at or around the credit limit, depending upon how high your balance is, they can cancel the card or lower the credit limit because of the over all risk to them and yourself. Lenders take into consideration your minimum payment amount and how it relates to your reported income, like from employment. You could have reported to Amex that your annual income is $45k/yr. Your credit limit with them is $10k and your other cards total combined credit limit could be $100k. If your total balances reported to your CBR is $97k, that's extremely high, in addition to your reported salary being significantly less than your total debt and credit limits. You could have no late payments and a good relationship with all lenders, and the income and limits info above is enough for them to lower your limits or cancel the card. It's all about risk management.
Yes, a lender would be willing to sacrifice the relationship they have when a customer in favor of reducing their risk.

Your bestfriend has been borrowing $40 for gas every week for the last 2 months, but has only paid you back once. This week, they asked to borrow $60. They currently owe you $280.
Do you continue to loan them money and take a risk? Keep in mind, this isn't about, "that's what friends are for.". This is business and not personal.

I'd tell them no, until they can catch up all or most of what they already owe me. This is how personal relationships are severed most of the time.

Jul 10, 2019

I bet Amex used to rave about you as a customer, but now they will tell other card issuers to stay away from Wifey1Sock.

Aug 23, 2019

Pay down your balances, that’s the only reason they would have to do that. They just re-evaluate their relationship with you that’s all.

Oct 21, 2019

Why are you carry on a balance ? Cards are to be pay off every month. Not to be use a suplementar income. You became a credit risk by carryon balance on multiple cards. They minimized their risk.

May 29, 2019
Review the list of where you earn cash!
LionheartLeo Cardholder

Jun 03, 2019

I get 6% at Walmart neighborhood markets but not at superstores. I easily get enough in cash back to much more than pay the $95.

May 23, 2019
Great card!
ChargerGreg Cardholder

Great rewards/customer service/cash back/cash advance/ easily worth the paltry $95 annual fee. Like it better than my Platinum card for day to day use. Asked for a bump to $50K from $30K and all they needed was a docusign and a few electronic lines from the previous two 1040's. piece of cake!. waiting on another $10K approval (hopefully) regardlless, great card.

May 08, 2019
Good Card!!
cripple2 Cardholder

Apr 17, 2019
Stay away from amex. They do not care
ssmokeyy Cardholder

They do not care about there customer at all. I had a zero balance and they let me go becuase i didn't leave a **** ton of credit with them and pay there high rates. They also did this to my bussiness card i had with them also.

May 23, 2019

They cared about THEIR customer here to check his previous two tax returns when I requested a bump from 30 grand to 50 grand in credit (which of course I received because I make the money). Everyone believes you had a business card with them as well. You can't even spell business (either). Maybe it was a Toy card for an imaginary busineSS.

Sep 23, 2019

I have had this card for a number of years and have never paid them a penny of interest much less left a ****ton of credit with them to pay THEIR high rates. My account has never been closed nor has my CL been reduced. I'd say there's more to your story than you choose to admit.

Apr 13, 2019
Terrible Experience
BCorsair2 Cardholder

Beware. American Express is like a bad relationship. They do not follow through with their promises, cheat you out of your miles, and provide no value to you or your credit. What's worse is that you pay annualy for the mistreatment. No thanks. I've moved on to something better.

Aug 15, 2019

This isn't a miles card.

Aug 23, 2019

This is a cash back card, that could be the reason you didn’t receive points (not miles).

Mar 23, 2019
Spamming
AmirMero Cardholder

Before I apply for this card they told my the cash rewards for US Supermarkets are 6% but NO, in the reality it is ONLY 1%. There is no immediate feedback in the app to show me my rewards. The customer support told me I have to wait one month to see my rewards but in the reality it took me more than Two month to see it. then the app shows me less than I expected!!! And still no details. I asked the customer support about the details so they send me a link. It was showing me Walmart and HEB which I always use is only 1% !!!!!!!

Then the customer support told me that this stores are not in their list!!!!!!

there is no any of their lists on my town!!! So this card is useless for me and they are so snaky !

Very disappointed.

Mar 23, 2019

Sounds like you didn’t have the basic understanding of the card before you used got it. 1) In the FAQ detailing the types of purchases and their entitled rewards the FAQ states that superstores DO NOT count as supermarkets. For example: Walmart and Target. Think “grocery store only” next time you want the 6% cash back. Stores like Food Lion and Kroger are available for the 6% cash back. 2) You receive your rewards and a detailed list of how much cash back you gained for each purchase online and not on the app. The app is a simplified tool to use and doesn’t contain all features. 3) One month after your bill is due you receive your rewards. An example of this: you spend $100 October 5th and your bill is due the 27th of that month. You won’t receive your rewards until the 27th of November for that purchase.

Mar 11, 2019
Easy, good cash back for families
jdec57 Cardholder

I've always had great customer service from Amex, returns are processed promptly and I LOVE earning 6% rewards at grocery stores although I sincerely wish that Costco could be included. <y only ding for Amex is that they are relentless with trying to get me to upgrade to gold or platinum and I am not interested.

Apr 05, 2019

The BCP is a wonderful card, and I used it for 2 years before I realized that it's not going to get me free vacations. The Gold card, however, will someday. The points add up really fast, and points valuations dictate that it's actually able to save the customer more money in getting to where they want to go than the BCP is. The benefits of the Gold far outweigh the annual fee, IMO.

Mar 02, 2019
Usefulness depends on usage.
X25064 Cardholder

I don't carry a balance. Never have, never will. I use cards to keep a score and pay for things I can already afford, but want to shift the burden on my back account around for. That said, this cards highlight is it's cash back ability. I don't use it for groceries much but did use it for gas a bit. I always felt that the cash back rate was still slower than my Capital One Quicksilver One card. It was not at all worth the $150 annual fee. I downgraded to the Cash Magnet card which Amex did for me no questions asked. I've never had an issue with Amex service as it's excellent, their app is fantastic, and their general services such as rental insurance and foreign exchange services are top notch.

Jun 03, 2019

You are correct that if you don't use it for groceries it may not be cost effective to pay $95 per year for the card. Having said that I don't understand how putting them on a card with lower cash back ie: Quicksilver One or paying for them from your bank account could possibly be more cost effective than getting 6% cash back.

Also, the annual fee is not $150 its $95. At $150 it would probably not be worth it.

Jan 10, 2019
Beneficial
nperez60804 Cardholder

I've been an Amex card holder for many years now and the this card has proven its worth to me. They has exceptional customer service and I even added my spouse so that we can share the card's credit. There is a high annual fee, but if you utilize the card to its full potential then the fee ends up being paid for by its self. We use our card for for already budgeted items such as groceries and car fuel. Then we just pay it off in full monthly. This has worked wonderful for improving our credit scores. We use the Amex rewards we earn from getting our monthly necesities and we apply them directly into the cards Balance payment everyother month and that's how the card pays for itself. Again, Its a great card if you use it to its potential and I highly recommend it to others. Very relable and beneficial card.

Credit Score
Credit Limit
60+ Days Past Due Status
Age of Cardholder

Sample Size: 1,642
Data Created: February 02, 2015

Note: Sample data consists of Credit Karma members who hold this card.

Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express