• Balance Transfer Intro APR 0% for 12 Months
  • Purchase Intro APR 0% for 12 Months

Nov 14, 2019
A poor choice for regular use.
jacobje Cardholder

The rewards are pretty good but the customer service is bad. I got scammed on eBay. I pre-ordered a Nintendo switch lite which said it would ship on 9/20 in August. The seller mailed me a letter confirming that the product would ship on 9/20 and asking me to be patient and give good feedback. I never received the product and the seller would not respond so I disputed the charge with Amex. They investigated the charge and claimed that since the merchant has a tracking number from August that proved I had received the switch lite in August before it was available anywhere. I contacted Amex again by chat and was told the dispute had been decided in my favor and to check the message again, which the message definitely did not say. I called in again and was told the dispute team would be informed but the dispute team responded again saying that they would not reconsider. At this point there were numerous one star reviews on eBay for the item saying it is a scam. I wish I had never applied for Amex.

Nov 12, 2019
Stay away from Amex!
1437eric Cardholder

Horrible company, bad customer service, you will regret this decision!

Sep 26, 2019
Cold Blooded Company
SNGK Cardholder

First time opening an American Express. This company does not support small businesses at all. Most small businesses profit by word of mouth and through family and friends. Tell me how this is acceptable.

I charged my card at my relative's business. Card gets declined. I call in to find out my account is currently getting cancelled due to "conflict of interest" without any notice or warning. It's been literally 2 days since I opened the card from the mail. This is how you treat your customers?

Yeah sure, it's my relative's business (my little sister if that really matters). But I'm here to support her and pay for her services. How is an invoice and physical goods not enough proof? She runs a t-shirt printing company! She would have to order the tees and print it for me. Nowhere on the card agreement form mentions you can't spend your money on family! I didn't even know this was a thing. This is probably the most absurd and ridiciulous experience I have ever gone through.

Most of my family members are small business owners. You are stating I cannot support any one of them because they are affiliated to me? You guys need to reconsider what you're doing with your life if you don't believe in helping out your own family. That's bloody cold.

Aug 28, 2019
worst card service
milindShah Cardholder

I had apply for this card 5 months ago when they were offering welcome bonus of 150$ if I spent 1000 in 3 months. I have given more than 5000 $ business and i called them to find out about my welcome bonus. they made excuses like1. it's your credit report history I have 710 score. 2. reason they say was when I applied for the card there was a pop up which told me I decided to receive the welcome bonus. worst service I expected more from American Express.

Jun 14, 2019
EXTORTION
Wifey1Sock Cardholder

Last time I ever use a AMEX card, was originally approved for 8k. Now after a few months they randomly decide to lower my CL on multiple cards to obscene amounts forcing my accounts to their max. After I called them to ask what's going on they are demanding early payment on the balance in exchange for the credit limit back. THIS IS EXTORTION. I WILL NEVER USE AMEX AGAIN.

I used to rave about Amex customer service and features, now I will tell everyone to stay away for the EXTORTIONIST company AMEX.

Jun 18, 2019

Some’s salty. Extortion? Lol. Make your payments on time bum

Jul 03, 2019

There's a reason they're asking you to pay down your balances. Chances are, you have other credit cards or lenders, besides Amex, that are reporting ONE OR MORE of the following to your CBR: high balances, other accts near their credit limits, overall total balances to credit limit ratio is high; 1 or more late payments or a significant change in Credit Score; just to name a few.

These could trigger a lender that you have an established relationship with to change the terms, like APR, or lower the credit limit, like what happened to yourself.
It's nothing personal, it's business because they're reassessing your overall risk.

Even if none of these applies to your situation, your overall balance between all lenders not being paid down or a pattern of your balances increasing. Even with a current lender, if your balance never changes and is always increasing, or is always at or around the credit limit, depending upon how high your balance is, they can cancel the card or lower the credit limit because of the over all risk to them and yourself. Lenders take into consideration your minimum payment amount and how it relates to your reported income, like from employment. You could have reported to Amex that your annual income is $45k/yr. Your credit limit with them is $10k and your other cards total combined credit limit could be $100k. If your total balances reported to your CBR is $97k, that's extremely high, in addition to your reported salary being significantly less than your total debt and credit limits. You could have no late payments and a good relationship with all lenders, and the income and limits info above is enough for them to lower your limits or cancel the card. It's all about risk management.
Yes, a lender would be willing to sacrifice the relationship they have when a customer in favor of reducing their risk.

Your bestfriend has been borrowing $40 for gas every week for the last 2 months, but has only paid you back once. This week, they asked to borrow $60. They currently owe you $280.
Do you continue to loan them money and take a risk? Keep in mind, this isn't about, "that's what friends are for.". This is business and not personal.

I'd tell them no, until they can catch up all or most of what they already owe me. This is how personal relationships are severed most of the time.

Jul 10, 2019

I bet Amex used to rave about you as a customer, but now they will tell other card issuers to stay away from Wifey1Sock.

Aug 23, 2019

Pay down your balances, that’s the only reason they would have to do that. They just re-evaluate their relationship with you that’s all.

Oct 21, 2019

Why are you carry on a balance ? Cards are to be pay off every month. Not to be use a suplementar income. You became a credit risk by carryon balance on multiple cards. They minimized their risk.

Apr 17, 2019
Stay away from amex. They do not care
ssmokeyy Cardholder

They do not care about there customer at all. I had a zero balance and they let me go becuase i didn't leave a **** ton of credit with them and pay there high rates. They also did this to my bussiness card i had with them also.

May 23, 2019

They cared about THEIR customer here to check his previous two tax returns when I requested a bump from 30 grand to 50 grand in credit (which of course I received because I make the money). Everyone believes you had a business card with them as well. You can't even spell business (either). Maybe it was a Toy card for an imaginary busineSS.

Sep 23, 2019

I have had this card for a number of years and have never paid them a penny of interest much less left a ****ton of credit with them to pay THEIR high rates. My account has never been closed nor has my CL been reduced. I'd say there's more to your story than you choose to admit.

Apr 13, 2019
Terrible Experience
BCorsair2 Cardholder

Beware. American Express is like a bad relationship. They do not follow through with their promises, cheat you out of your miles, and provide no value to you or your credit. What's worse is that you pay annualy for the mistreatment. No thanks. I've moved on to something better.

Aug 15, 2019

This isn't a miles card.

Aug 23, 2019

This is a cash back card, that could be the reason you didn’t receive points (not miles).

Mar 23, 2019
Spamming
AmirMero Cardholder

Before I apply for this card they told my the cash rewards for US Supermarkets are 6% but NO, in the reality it is ONLY 1%. There is no immediate feedback in the app to show me my rewards. The customer support told me I have to wait one month to see my rewards but in the reality it took me more than Two month to see it. then the app shows me less than I expected!!! And still no details. I asked the customer support about the details so they send me a link. It was showing me Walmart and HEB which I always use is only 1% !!!!!!!

Then the customer support told me that this stores are not in their list!!!!!!

there is no any of their lists on my town!!! So this card is useless for me and they are so snaky !

Very disappointed.

Mar 23, 2019

Sounds like you didn’t have the basic understanding of the card before you used got it. 1) In the FAQ detailing the types of purchases and their entitled rewards the FAQ states that superstores DO NOT count as supermarkets. For example: Walmart and Target. Think “grocery store only” next time you want the 6% cash back. Stores like Food Lion and Kroger are available for the 6% cash back. 2) You receive your rewards and a detailed list of how much cash back you gained for each purchase online and not on the app. The app is a simplified tool to use and doesn’t contain all features. 3) One month after your bill is due you receive your rewards. An example of this: you spend $100 October 5th and your bill is due the 27th of that month. You won’t receive your rewards until the 27th of November for that purchase.

Dec 12, 2018
Not as described
drami985 Cardholder

Was approved for $20k, they gave me a $5k balance transfer amount. Not impressed. Spoke to customer service. Would not increase transfer limit. The whole reason I applied for this card was for the 0% balance transfer deal. Definitely would not recommend. I’ll take advantage of the 0% deal, then I’m canceling this card.

May 19, 2019

$20k limit and $5k balance transfer, and you think it's a bad deal. Why didn't you cancelled it on the spot?

Jun 07, 2019

Why cancel and hurt your credit and have a hard pull for nothing? Why not just downgrade to a different card with no annual fee?

Credit Score
Credit Limit
60+ Days Past Due Status
Age of Cardholder

Sample Size: 1,642
Data Created: February 02, 2015

Note: Sample data consists of Credit Karma members who hold this card.

Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express