Credit Card Reviews Advertiser Disclosure

Hilton HHonors Card™ from American Express

• Balance Transfer Intro APR Not Applicable
  • Purchase Intro APR Not Applicable

Our Take

The Hilton HHonors CardTM from American Express is a good option for frequent travelers with good credit.

What to Like

The Hilton HHonors CardTM from American Express offers plenty of rewards. For starters, new cardholders can earn 50,000 Hilton HHonorsTM Bonus Points after spending $750 on purchases in the first three months. Cardholders also earn 7x points at participating hotels and resorts, 5x points at restaurants, supermarkets and gas stations and 3x points for all other purchases. And to top it off, there’s no annual fee.

Look Out For

Earning bonus points is great, but you’ll have to redeem these points through the Hilton HHonorsTM bonus points program, which is less flexible than simple cash back. There’s also a foreign transaction fee and a high Penalty APR that may apply after missed payments.

Oct 19, 2016
Grocery double points & no annual fee

I have several rewards cards, most for hotel points.  One of the best features about this Amex, aside from the fact that it is a no fee Amex card, is that it provides double points on groceries.  Since this is our biggest expense after rent each year this really pays off, especially since we don't carry a balance on any of our credit cards.  One of our favorite hotel chains is the Hampton Inn so the points come in handy.

Aug 24, 2016
Great Rewards, No Annual Fee
besimistic Cardholder

I was approved within minutes with $10,000 credit (slightly more than my total available credit right when applying). I've started my credit history less than 2 years ago. I have two Capital One cards with a total of $9,300 available credit (one with $3,500 and another with $5,800). I have a 724 credit score with 100% on-time payments. My credit utilization rate has been hovering at 20–45% so needed some more credit on my account to lower my utilization rate and add some diversity to my accounts and rewards options.

I also applied and was approved for a Discover Card the night before. Surprisingly, Discover still hasn't told me the total amount of credit that will be available while Amex told me instantly and has quickly set me up with my online account which has a simple, clean interface.

Combined this should bring my utilization rates below 5–15% each month, God-willing.

The Hilton HHonors points are valued about around $0.04 per point (http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/value-miles-points/) which means the $50k is worth about $2k in points (and $75k is valued at $3k if that offer is available when applying). This card gives 3–7 points per dollar, which means you can earn about $0.12–0.28 back for every dollar spent if my calculations are correct a far greater value than the 1.5% cash back I was getting on my CapitalOne card.

This is great for a no annual fee card.

Nov 29, 2016

I think you missed a digit on the left side of the "4". According to the website, it is .004 cents per point. Figure non bonus dollar spend is three times this and you wind up with .012 which translates to 1.2 percent back.
That said, having fuel and groceries at a higher points rate helps make up some of the difference.

May 02, 2016
Great Rewards Card
bham0108 Cardholder

This card has great rewards from HIlton stays including bonus points for using your card to reserve a hotel.  You don't get charged until you check in so it makes booking trips easy to modify without being charged.

Mar 06, 2016
Great rewards at Hilton hotels
cyclesport45 Cardholder

Automatic Silver status.  Excellent rewards at Hilton brand hotels.  Decent ability to accumulate points.  This and my CSP handle all my travel charges.

Hilton HHonors Card™ from American Express