Question

LilBit1008

Why won't my score go up? What do I have to do?
It's been several months since my score moved, even though I have been aggressively paying off all my debts. I have 2 credit cards that were both almost maxed out and $13K left on my car loan. I have gradually paid an enormous chunk off one card and cut the other one down to almost nothing, and have never been late on a payment in my life. But my score hasn't gone up at all.. Or down... I'm planning to have paid off my auto loan within the next 2 months, so out of curiosity, I tried using the Credit Score Simulator to see how that will impact my score. I couldn't seem to do anything to get it to go up! I thought it might be broken so i tried adding another credit card to see if anything would change, and then my simulated score went down almost 30 points! I understand that the "simulator" isn't 100 percent accurate, but how can reducing my debt by almost $16K NOT help my credit score? I don't intend to close my credit card accounts- I use them. Im just trying to keep the balances low. My score is in the Fair range so as long as it doesn't go down, I'll be happy for the meantime but I want to have perfect credit in the future. What on earth do I have to do?

I suggest learning the skills needed by reading the articles presented on this site.  Credit Karma's main purpose is to teach people how to use credit and how to build a good credit score.  I managed to go from fair to good by what I learned.  My score hasn't changed in several months, but that';s okay with me because it's much better than what it was.  Once a score gets into the 700s it can remain "stable" for long periods, and that's okay.  I'd like mine to go up a bit, but as long as it's not going down, I'm okay with it.