Question

sentner

Why the heck did my score drop 48 points in one month with only positive changes to accounts?
My score had been bordering on good/excellent. I just paid off one old (closed) account, and finished paying off a car loan. Also paid off about $7k in other credit card debt. And my transrisk score dropped by 48 points! But my Vantage score shot UP. What would cause this?

ExCrednow

I recently paid off all student loans (10,000) eqifax score dropped 51 points  and tans Union only 4 points  however my Fico score  hasn't budged and remains  in excellent range. Also my Amex card shows me as a cardholder since 95' although credit karma shows my history at 5 yrs 4 months? I used to obsess about this but I try to keep all credit limits below 25%  and have automatic withdrawals set up on all accounts and have never had a late payment. I just don't worry about it anymore all of this info is computer generated don't take it personally. I'd rather be paying off debts rather than have a higher credit score!!

CreditKrap should be the new name !!!

Wrong !! Scores are incorrect , don't trust this site !!!

48 Point Drop For No Reason

All I can say is, what the heck?? My transunion score just dropped 48 points in 1 week with absolutely no changes on my credit profile... I have no derogatory marks, a 100% on time payment history and zero inquiries. I also haven't opened or closed any new or old accounts. Nothing has changed!  My credit should be the poster child for being resposible and the yardstick by which greatness is measured...but they drop me 48 points for no reason??? To say I am disappointed and confused would be an understatement. Has this happened to anyone else recently?  My Equifax has remained stable, it's just the Trans Union that fell inexpilcably.

Hi Sentner,

Your score dropped because you paid off your car loan.  The average length of your credit history includes open loans, and when this was closed, it no longer was included in it, which meant your average account age went down.  You'll see as time goes on that your score will go back up.  Great job on getting rid of the debt!

hardeight

This is definitely part of the reason. Also Vantage score has different weights than the traditional model. Vantage values recent accounts and debt load more. I think the combination of those things explain the differences you are seeing. 

bestus

Thanks ksumma's that is helpful crazy but helpful one card is paid of another 0 interest transfer balance from tips from this site ugh, and 2 companies viewed my score why do they drop your score for that this system stinks like mosts things I am not interested in looking on this or any site for a while , Only to prevent fraud ....

rabbitbriar

I understand what happened in this case it happend to me last year, the score came back up , but I just checked it 1st time this year it droped even more than it did when I paid off my car and other debts, I did not change anything, just keep paying my bills, are they playing with us or what.

I have a question that's driving me nuts!!!   I also have another PAID credit score service that allows me to check my REAL credit scores for all three services once a month.  The first 6 months on CReditKarma was nearly in line with my true scores, but last month my score dropped 30 points, and even my meaningless insurance score dropped 40 points.

My ACTUAL credit scores are all 30-50 points higher than CreditKarma is stating.  Beware, something is wonky with this place. 

i think there is some problem with the site. i just updated my score and it dropped dramatically, stating that my total accounts have an increase of  $642. there is no such thing!!!! only payments have been made to my credit cards and on time as well.  something is definitely wrong with this site. normally i have no issues with creditkarma, but i think someone needs to check this out.  even the balances on my accounts are the same as they were the last time i checked in about two weeks ago.

jarena82

Keep in mind that the site is pulling information from a credit burea, which is getting information only as quickly as the creditors send it to them.  The problem is not with this site, it's with the credit burea system.

credit score drop

Im so confused right now i just loged in to credit karma thinking i would see a good change in my credit score due to paying off my last collection bill YES!!! and finally qulaified for a car loan of $15,000 with a fair credit score of 647 well the change i noticed in my score is very disapointing it dropped down to 613 in less then one month thats a drastic drop im so confused is this right or could it be the website because if it really did drop this much im back to were i started when i joined credit karma ugh this is so unfair:(

just looked into some things and apparently, i smell a rat.  transunion will no longer sell you a single credit report, only through  a subscription for credit montioring.  am i correct when i say that this site is run by transunion??  so i assume they are gonna throw some crazy dip in a score to pique our curiousity and force us to buy into the scam just to get a copy of our OWN credit report!!!!  what a total rip off.  so shady. wow creditkarma, if that is your scam i am so embarrassed after telling everyone what a great site this is.  shame on you

eastcane

Trish, I've had the exact same thing happen the last two weeks. I had a 806 that has stayed 806 for over a year now. Suddenly, for no reason, it plummets to 749, a 57 point drop. I've paid in November and December exactly like I've always done, paid the entire balance on my VISA, and paid a big chunk of principle off my home equity account. No borrowing, no lates, something is terribly wrong here...

cunninghamlally

I had the exact same thing happen, I monitor my credit monthly with a paid service and my credit is 50 point higher and has ben that way for over a year.

I think that Trish is onto something.....I almost fell for it, instead I am going to cancel this scam.

dennywagner

same here. Now I see people plugging score navigator. tried it. my score there (transunion) was different from here and from the report I just pulled. Both creditkarma and score navigator use or are run by transunion. Coincidence that nothing matches within 2 days of each other??

Your credit score usually drops if you pay off old account, especially if they went to a collection agency! I found out that it is better not top pay of debt collectors as it will affect my credit score for 2 years after I have paid them off! By doing the right thing, I am doing the wrong thing and getting penilized by the credit bureas! That is just crazy! But let us look at this, it is all for the benifits of the banks! The banks are the ones who created the creait bureas for their benefits, it only benefits the banks if your credit score is low, so they can make you pay more! This is such a terrible discrimination to all in the United States of America! I always thought discrimination was against the constitution!

chaztity

Enter Your ReplyIT IS AGAINST THE CONSTITUTION BUT PEOPLE HAVE BEEN DISCRIMINATING FOR CENTURIES. IS DISCRIMINATION ONLY A PROBLEM WHEN IT HAPPENS TO "YOU"?

I am very, very confused. I have four credit cards I've been trying to work on... got a big project at work and made enough to pay two of them down to a zero balance. I never CLOSED them; I want them open showing available credit but not being utilized.

My score on here dropped by 23 points!!!! I am so confused. My utilization decreased by 15%, which is nice. But why would I get such a score penalty for doing something good?

To reiterate: None of my cards has been closed out. Just a zero balance on two of them now. No other changes with the car loan or anything else I could possibly think of. I've been working really hard bc I want to buy a home...wish I had a better idea of my true score. :(