Question

joelpolard

Why has my credit score dropped 85pts in two days?
It just dropped 85 points in your reporting and I want to know why.

May have to do some digging...

There are several reasons your score could drop so dramatically in a short amount of time. Mine dropped like crazy when they started reporting my mortgage because the amount of money I owed boosted by almost 200K. My wife's dropped nearly 100 points when her student loan servicer mistakenly reported that she failed to pay her loan (which is a series of several small loans) for months. A dispute letter solved that.

If you put a large balance on your credit card(s) compared to the maximum limit, this could cause a large drop in your score as well.

Having an account go into collections could drop your score significantly.

Closing a very old account (like a credit card) could greatly reduce the length of credit history being reported which has a large impact on score.

Go through your accounts, look for changes such as those listed above. You may want to contact one of the credit agencies and request a full report (you get one free from each agency per year I beleive). Search through it for any irregularities. It might be a lot of boring reading byt that's how you will determine what has caused your score to drop so dramatically.

Happy hunting! 

score dropped 85 points?????

My student loans are on my credit report surprisinglybut i have not graduated or started to have to pay them. Also I just paid off a car??and haven't yet told the bureus wondering why my score shockingly!!! dropped!! 80 or 85 points since January less than 2 months Ago??? SOMETHING REALLY WRONG??