Question

h22lude

Why did my score drop 28 points?
My credit score was 797 in July. I just checked it now and it is 28 points lower. The only thing I can see that changed was my Best Buy card changed from Master Card to Visa. It looks like it it showing up as a closed account and new account but as a new account it is showing up as opened in 2007 so that shouldn't change my age of history. What could have made me drop that much?

To determine the cause of any scoring change you have to carefully review reports from before and after the change.  It is possible that you overlooked other changes.  Changes are not simply additions and deletions.

Closing an account and opening an identical account can have an impact on AAoA but AAoA is a relatively small factor.  The Best Buy card change could be a temporary situation so you'd really need to take a look at this a month or more later.

29 points isn't much of an impact if you were at 797 and if this is your VantageScore then it really doesn't matter unless you know that you have a creditor that acutally uses VantageScores.