Question

pbgs

Why did my credit score drop when I disputed a claim?
I had disputed two accounts on my credit report with equifax fax and trans union because I wasn't sure if I was responsible for one acct. and the other I didn't know what it was. Then, I noticed weeks later my credit score drop drastically putting me in the VERY POOR category when I was in the high fair category. Did I get PENALIZED for disputing my credit inquiries?? Please help me understand this process.

Old judgement removed and score drop 135

I paid off an old judgement.  I was then told to get it off my report to dispute it.  I did and it is now showing the dispute is settled and has been removed.  Nothing else changed including account time of ownership but my score dropped 135 points. How can this have caused a drop so extreme?

First off, do not dispute inquiries.  If you want to avoid inquiries then you have to avoid applying.

Second when disputing, an account involved in the dispute is no longer factored in scoring.  It's not unusual for scores to change temporarily during a dispute.  Once the dispute is resolved your scores will adjust based on the outcome of the dispute.  Until the dispute is resolved don't worry over the scores.

If accounts aren't yours then you shouldn't be getting the scoring benefit of those accounts anyway.  It sounds like you need to work on building your own credit accounts if two disputed accounts are drastically impacting your credit like this.