Question

Kelly5570

When you dispute an item on your credit, can the original creditor make you verify things?
I disputed an item on my credit report through Experian. Recently, I received a letter in the mail from the credit card company saying that they know that I am disputing that item and that I had to verify information for them in order them to continue to look into the dispute? I haven't responded because isn't it true that it would need to be removed if they don't respond??

They may need to clarify information.

Especially in the cases of common names, a credit card company may want to verify who you really are, where you live, who your employer is, just to compare what may be listed on the disputed item with the information from you.  It's good to be cooperative about this so that only verified information remains on your credit report.  Your cooperation will help with the verification.

Credit information is entered by human beings and humans make mistakes.  Humans can also help to correct mistakes, which is why they want this information.