Question

MrRogers87

What is my responsibility for collection accounts that have now been removed from my credit report?
I had several open collections from unpaid medical bills I incrued while I was in college. The original accounts were from 2008 I believe (so 7 years ago). I was paying them down slowly, but a couple months ago I saw that the accounts were now reported as removed now on both Experian and TransUnion. I know that the statute of limitations for these types of accounts is usually 7 years, but I thought that only applied if you hadn't made payments. Now the collection agency is calling trying to make me continue payments.

I felt that these charges were unjustified in the first place ($10k for a poor college student to reset a broken pinky? Give me a break! No pun intended...), so I would relish the opoprtunity to not have to give them any more of my money. I'm worried that if I don't resume paying though that the accounts will reappear on my credit report, or that new accounts will be opened. The thought also occured to me that if I do contact the credit agency and resume payments that too could renew the accounts, and thus cause them to show up on my credit report again. What is my actual responsibility at this point, and what is my best move to prevent the accounts from reappeaing (other than paying the accounts in full)?