Question

Posted in Auto Insurance

tuck1952

What is my auto insurance score ?

consumer

The practice of using a person's credit score to calculate car insurance premiums must be changed.  I am driving a car, not applying for a mortgage or asking for credit for purchases! Washing State Insurance Commission tells me this is standard practice, regardless of your driving record; if your credit score is poor - you will pay high insurance premiums.  Likewise, you can have citations on your driving record - but if your credit score is high, your premium will be less.  CONTACT YOUR STATE REPRESENTATIVE FOR YOUR DISTRICT AS THIS PRACTICE MUST CHANGE!

Virginia J. Johnson

Nomadre

They have statistics that show people with certain bad credit habits are also more likely to sue, have a crash, and cost the insurance company money.  Why should the people who are not irresponsible have to pay to cover people who are.  The practice is a good one for people who take responsibility in all aspects of their life.

digbgy

Most companies only care if you have negative marks for non-payment of insurance. Source: I'm an insurance agent.

JohnnyRain127

One can find out more about what in your credit profile might affect your insurance premiums...

-

https://consumer-solutions.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2523/~/how-do-i-learn-more-about-scores-and-reason-codes%3F

lsw1121

Really Nomadre - I am a SAFE DRIVER with no accidents and pay out the a** becuase I missed a few payments on my car when it died and I had to repair it - why should I have to pay a higher rate when my driving record is spotless - people like you disgust me

Auto insurance ripoff

Same deal for paying your utilities on time either. Many major utility companies will ding your credit for major lates (60, 90 120 days late)
but don't report your decades of positive payments

Discrimination against those who pay pre

Why is it that (We) who pay their insurance premiums automatically are still being discriminated against because The Insurance Commission wants to call Demographics [MORE $] HIGHER RATES! How is this even Legal? This means we get a lousy credit score because of these bogus guidelines that are not independently set for the business reason intended! Come on America squash this and put it back on your families dinner table.

Per consumer reports "Cherry-picking about 30 of almost 130 elements in a credit report, each insurer creates a proprietary score that’s very different from the FICO score you might be familiar with, so that one can’t be used to guess the other reliably."

Therefore unless we get lucky and find someone in the industry to post on the boards, we can only guess.  but infact this is not much different than what we do with all scores, since we do not know which FICO system or even other scoring system anyone uses.  But we can know that if we are pushing up our Vantage score, it can only help with the insurance scores and visa versa.

Check this one out

I was in a friends car, was rear ended my insurance did NOT pay off the claim. Because I was unable to work due to injuries, I couldn't work (age 68), thus could not pay bills. HERE IT COMES: I got aletter from American Family saying that they were raising my rates because of my low credit score. Before the accident, I had great credit and paid my bills on time.

poor score more likely hold of suing?

My insurance company told me that a person with a poor credit score is more likely to sue.  Well my state is a no fault state so I cannot sue in the event of a auto accident. So where is the logic in that?

Bankruptcy

My wife's bankruptcy was recently discharged. She filed because she went through a nasty divorce in 2013 and her ex never paid his portion of the credit card bills he was ordered to pay. She didn't have the money to pay her attorney to take him back to court. She couldn't manage his share of the bills and her student loan payment so she filed Chapter 7.  Her insurance rates have increased. She has never had a ticket or been in an accident. She has never been late on her insurance, rent, student loan or car payment nor has she sued anyone. The only debts discharged were the ones her ex never paid on. It's unfortunate she is being penalized on her insurance rates 

Car Insurance & Credit Cards.

I always pay mine every six months, on time, never late. 40 years I have been with Allstate and haven't had a ticket or moving violation since the 70's. Knock on wood. Why isn't that included in my credit score? Mine is great, not complaining but right now I do have a balance on my credit card. For some odd reason, my credit doesn't reflect. It says I haven't had anything on my card since Feb. I have a balance that I will pay off in a few days in March. I don't understand why that isn't on my credit score, among other things. I had a problem last month with my credit card. I paid it early and then they paid it again on their due date. I wanted to set up a pay in full, which I did this year. They put it into installments. I always pay in full each month. Why can't they just pay it in full as I requested? 

kathlen

Enter Your Replyyou have to leave a balance on your credit cardfor a month for it to show.......try using it and paying the balance in a 2 month period.......

Are there Insurance co dont do this?

Please find/recommend to the Insurances companies to not do this for people who auto pay. They'll see how fast we switch!

I wish i knew!!!!!!!!