Question

cmburfitt

What does it mean when a collections account has been removed?
I have several collection accounts that have been 'removed'. They are mostly medical bills that I haven't payed on at all. Do I not owe these anymore? They are roughly 3 yrs old.

this may help

sharing my experience with you all with dealing /negotiating with collection companys over your collections..''Everytime'' ive called to talk to them about paying a debt. ive told them i wont pay without it being deleted..everytime and every single one of them say they do not delete collections at all, they only send a letter it was paid..but it can remain on your report for years if they dont delete it...they can delete it people!   heres how i get it deleted everytime:

when they tell you they do not delete it, dont buy it..but talk and remain calm ans stern..tell them they are the ones who put it on the credit report and its only right they remove it if you pay, also tell them it does you no benefit to pay it if they dont delete it..tell them you refuse to pay it if its not part of the deal...their trained to not tell you they can delete it..they send a letter and email request in for it to be deleted..ive done this enough times as i had tons of medical bills i started paying off and learned with experience how to negotiate with them and what they will always tell everybody...they dont like to have to do it, but they will do it for you to pay off the collection..thats what their in business for!!!  its not like all the accounts they got are in line to pay these bills right, thats why they are in business and its profit for them when you settle and pay..so stay very stern you will not pay unless the deletion is part of the deal..for the deletion they normally will make you pay the full amount though...if you negotiate a half price pay off they normally wont delete it for you...

Scottower

You are correct, if they refuse to delete then say there is no benefit to you for paying it off. Any reasonable collector that wants to get paid should be willing to delete and it is total BS if they say they can't. If you dispute the same debt they have to confirm it as a valid debt and it is just as simple to have it removed, in fact if they do not respond to the dispute it will be removed by the credit bureau. Just yesterday I called about a $1236 account and was offered a settlement of $1000 and got it in writing that it would be removed from all three agencies. I paid with a credit card so if it isn't removed I will dispute the payment and have written proof that I didn't receive what was negotiated.

I then contacted Pinnacle Credit about a Verizon bill in collections. They said they do not remove accounts so they did not get paid. Makes no sense whatsoever from a business perspective. This is an over $800 account that they could have had paid, almost 100% profit for them yet they seem to want to punish people. Oh well, it was already on my credit report so I have lost nothing and will have to wait that one out it appears.

ClintNPhx

Enter Your Reply I used your suggestion and i was able to obtian letters to delete the medical debts. Thank you so much!!!! you made a difference in my and my children's lives! Thank you!

LoveMercyCredit

I follow what you're saying up to where you tell the collection agency it doesnt benefit you if you pay and they refuse to remove the account from all 3 credit reporting agencies.

When you say making a deal, does this mean they send you a letter stating what they will do if you pay? Do they spell out that they're going to remove the account from all three credit reporting agency's before you give them money? I would just hate to pay them and then have them say they never promised me anything like that.

Leshia1

Did u receive a eritten letter first or did u just take there word for it and paid it in full?

dealgetter

hospital service dec.25,2010 disagreed with service . made payment arrangements with hospital , then defaulted on payment arrangements june 1, 2013 . in collections now when will this come off my reports .

You are in the Clear

Removed is exactly what you want, you no long owe the debt and it doesn't hurt your credit.

msmilk12

I have two accounts that have been removed but one is also in my open accounts doesn't make sense and it's killing my credit

help

lsshan

I had this also.  But, it was only removed from one credit report.  Will the other two eventually remove it also?  Or would I have to ask them to remove it since it's been removed from one?  Thanks!

Hebrew247

Enter Your ReplyI have a question...If an account has been removed, then I am in the clear I think.  What if the company keeps hounding you about it by mail/email/phone?

Random789644

Isshan: You have to ask for it to be removed from each bureau in turn. If it was removed as the result of a dispute you filed, then you have to file separate disputes with the other two agencies as well.

If it was removed because the colleciton agency removed it (possible if you did a pay-for-removal), then *as long as you have that promise in writing*, you have to ask them to honor their end of the deal.

--

Hebrew247: Just because it is missing from your report, does not mean that it cannot be pursued (and if the amount is large enough, say over $500, it may be worth it to them to take you to court over it if the Statute of Limitations hasn't passed for the debt.)

my attempt at removing collections

Hi All,

I recently signed up with Credit Karma back in Dec. 2015 due to wanting a home loan in the next year or so. I knew my credit wasnt going to be stellar and it wasnt (High 400's). A few things I did over the past 2 months! 

1) Challenged a $100 collection on several reports. I had it removed as I believed I had paid the "electric bill" back when i sold another home and this bumped my score given the little arrow when you log in of around 50 points. Note: they didnt have proof justifying the claim which is why it was removed.

2) Found out what I have a good shot at getting approved for and applied for Capital One Card which was "advertised" to me. I applied for the capital one cards due to the higher reviews and received both a secured and regular card within a two month window. My score now in February jumped another 18 points and I think...im nearly in mortgage ready range again. I dont think its typical to go from a 474 credit score to a 592 but hey, ill take it..

My advice: Once you are in the gutter in terms of credit, focus on negotiating cards like I did. Feel free to ask me anything as I've had 4 closed cards and now have 1 im working on. With 2 active CC's. Credit Karma helped me look at the reality of my credit and provided tools to help dispute items that are innacurate. Also, be skeptical of those credit repair and law firms that offer to help. If you are going to court, hire a lawyer, but in terms of speaking with someone about a card, save some money and ask to settle via having a discussion of your current situation without lying... These collection companies WANT to settle and if you have the ability to, try to get a 40-50% settlement. I did with several firms (PRA, URS) With the new scoring models as I understand them, once you pay off a card, it wont impact your score  moving forward (to my knowledge)... Good Luck! 

Sfblair2001

I've also raised my credit score pretty quickly but disputing some items and paying others. CK showed my score at 660 and all collection removed or paid. I attempted to get a mortgage  yesterday but was told I have 608! I knew there may be some discrepancy but that was a shock! The problem I was told by the lender that two collections that CK shows as removed were still on my CR.  Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

EConstantin

Sfblair2001 keep shopping around for a mortgage because you can't get approved for an fha loan as long as you are over 580.

auroralerner

As you increase the amount of credit available to you, it changes your debt ratio and therefore increases your score because you are not using all of the open credit you have available.

DevinScruggs09

Hey! I am going through LITERALLY the same thing. Is there any advice tha you can maybe give? Hope to hear from you!

SAME ISSUE....

I had an amount on a defaulted phone bill for $500 from 2012/2013, and to this day I never paid a dime. December 2014, I checked my collections and there it was, still owed $500. Today, January 2015, I checked my collections, but it is no longer in collections owed, it is now in collections removed. Any thoughts on that? Did the collections agency feel it was no longer going to be collected? Did someone pay it for me? Does CreditKarma no longer have any information on it? Am I going to jail now..jk?

sweetpeataz

So if a Agency check my report can they see the collections on there 

FirmAndSteady

They are waiting outside your door now...just kidding.  It will normally take 7 years to come completely off your record.  It would look better if you paid it if you feel you need to.  But even then it will remain a part of the record.

jholub123

Actually, I thought if you pay it after it's been removed, it goes back onto your credit report for another 7 years. I've been told it is best to not touch those. I'd ask for further advice. Could be shooting yourself in the foot.

Another thing, if they remove after a charge off, depending on the amount, they usually report it to the IRS as income, and you will get a nice bill for taxable income. If you pay taxes as income, it's off your credit report, I think you just move on.

Investor90

Enter Your Reply No it could be a chance that the collections company in question has " Sold that old debt"  to another collection company.  And no by all means you will not go to jail  it is against the law for collections companies to threaten anyone with such an act.  As a matter of fact it is against State and Federal law

Removed sometimes means resold

If you haven't paid the outstanding collection balance, and you see it removed.. it can sometimes mean that collection agency has now sold the debt to another agency. Learned that the hard way. I got excited about something being removed, only to see it reappear a few months later unexpectedly by another agency. 

So second time around I did it the smarter way - when I saw that a debt was removed from an old energy bill, i kept an eye on the mail. And just as i expected, the new agency sent me a new debt collection letter. Since the debt was essentially starting over, it benefitted me because I contacted them immediately, paid it, and prevented them from putting it back on my credit.

In summary: if you've paid the debt and it shows as removed, you're in the clear! if you haven't paid it and it shows as removed, proceed with caution because it may reappear after having been resold to another collection agency. 

Removed means Gone!

If your credit report agency is letting you know that it is removed, it mean the items are not listed any longer harming your creidt score. However, every credit report agency works difrently. You should conntact all 3 major agencies to ensure it was removed from all of them if reported to all 3. Some agencies like experian can be bad agencies and dont care about your complains and demands so you have to continue contacting them in order to have items removed properly. 

hard inquiries

I have been trying to purchase a new motorhome for the last six months.  I have found several that I had interest in getting and applied for financing with the dealer. Now I find that even though I only applied with 4 dealers, I have 8 hard Iinquiries onExperian and Tran sunion credit reports and 24 inquiries on the equifax report.  Is there any way to remove these inquiries since I only authorized 4 of them?

mayoub3534

Enter Your Reply

TaylorP61

You Must Write ( in Triplicate)    Meaning One Letter and three Photo copies.  Send the Same Letter to All Three Major Bureaus.-----

In the Letter state your Name SSN and Address and the Fact that you went to a Dealer that used a Broker to Do Loan Searches and  Provide the Primary Dealer Name n Address  of RV Dealer you wnet too. ( Never a Guarantee)  but you may have some luck in getting a Note added to Assist you from the Brokers, and or the Primary Dealet

bcjrstl

Buying anything on time can be a tricky more so when you let the company you are making the purchase from handle the financing. Realize that everyone is in this game to make a buck and retailers especially anything to do with autos. Some years back I was interested in purchasing a new vehicle. Figuring that the dealer had more loan options and better APR financing available I let F&I person go wild...I didn't realize he was going to go crazy but he did. They are not only shopping for a loan for you but hey are also shopping to see where they can get the greatest kick back for themselves. So they shop lenders which might be 1-2 but more then likely 4-5-6. Each one of those inquire's is a hard hit on your credit report and does drop your score. These impact your credit report for 2-3 years. The wierd thing is when I had the dealer finance my car I had no idea until after the fact...ouch! From now on what I do when it's crunch time and an actual loan amount has to be arrived at I tell the F&I person to run only 1 or even tell them what source to check. If this doesn't look good then they can get back with you before they go crazy with 4-5 inquiries. You need to be in control not the dealership/retailer or the F&I manager. It's your money and your credit score. 

eastcoastman73

Enter Your ReplyNo way to remove at all!!!!  have to wait two years until they fall off..nobody can remove them if they say they can their telling lies..i dont know why you see say 8 on transunion and equifax always slams like 24, thats crazy how equifax does this...

Removed

I've got an collection on my report that has been removed. However I'm still getting letters in the mail by the collector threatening a law suit what can I do?

The same thing happened to me.  A few weeks ago I received a letter from an agency trying to collect on a debt that was very old. It was removed from my credit report 3 years ago.   I have learned to read everything in a letter, don't miss a word.  At the bottom of the letter, in the smallest type, it stated that "this is such an old debt we will not be suing you or making reports to the credit bureaus.  This is an attempt to collect on an old debt" .  Make sure you read everything.  If it is in really small letters, pay special attention.  They know no one reads the tiny print.   Or you can dispute it.  They have 30 days to answer your letter of dispute or they have to stop reporting, take it off your report, and cease all further actions.

These are all the collections accounts that have been removed from your credit report since you became a Credit Karma member. They are no longer on your Transunion Credit Report.

Hey! What's up guys..... I read all the posts on this one threat, let's see if I can tackle each situation........ First of all Collections (usually a bill you neglected to pay in full) by law can only stay on your credit file for a max of 7 years from the date it was delinquent. There are certain state laws that can reset this time line. It is called the statue of limitations.  This is a state law that basically means that a debt collector has so many years to collect on bad debt. Once they go past that collection time trial, legally they are not allowed to take you to court and sue for the debt. If you talk to a creditor and agree that the debt is yours within the count down period, it refreshes the statute of limitation requirement. (Ex. if you agree to make a payment arrangement and stop paying on it)  You can dispute a bad debt and have it removed from your credit file. If you were unable to have it remove from all the credit bureaus then that means that the debt is legit. The debt collector don't have to report to all the credit bureaus, just only the one they feel like reporting to. Having the debt removed does mean that you don't owe the debt, it just means that the debt collector does have enough info to prove that the debt is yours or they have reached the statue of limitations. Most likely they will stop calling after you have the debt removed. Want more info, read some other posts I submitted.

After the statue of limitations runs out, you cannot be sued for the debt.   However, they can still try to collect.  Here is what happened to me.  Last week I received a notice from a collection agency.  It was for a debt dating back to 2004 - car repo. Naturally, my heart sank as I started reading their letter and telling me how much money I owed them along with payment options.   I didn't owe them a dime but I knew they could find a way to ruin all the hard work I have been doing in restoring my credit.  I kept reading the letter with the intention of pulling out my records and proving them wrong, etc.  That is why I save everything!  Here's the crucial part - please pay attention to what I am going to say.  In very small letters at the bottom of the letter, where nobody reads, was a notice stating that since the debt is so old they will not take me to court, will not sue me, nor will bother me again.  This is an attempt to collect a debt only.

Make sure you read every word on any collection papers and even satisfaction papers.  If you get a letter of satisfaction, make sure everything is accurate and save it for as long as needed.