Posted in Banking
What bank can I get a legit checking account, with bad credit?
I need a checking account to pay bills but my credit is bad. Help!?

Labraysha

Most Helpful Response
Have you tried Second Chance Checking

Having bad credit is usually not a reason for being denied a checking account. More likely, you are going to be rejected for a checking account if you have bad marks on your ChexSystems report.

Here is a link to additional information on why you may have been denied a savings or checking account. http://www.mybanktracker.com/news/2010/08/30/account-denied-chexsystems-report/

ChexSystems will record infractions related to bank accounts, such as check fraud, unpaid negative balances or excessive withdrawals. The ChexSystems report can be considered the banking equivalent of a credit report.

Some banks may preform a "hard inquiry" on your credit report, but many do not. (You should ask before applying.) Even with bad credit, you may still qualify for a traditional checking account.

If you are denided a traditional checking account at a big bank, you may have better luck at a community bank or credit union.

Also there are accounts called "second chance" checking account for consumers who have bad ChexSystems reports. These accounts tend to have a higher monthly fee and certain account restrictions (e.g., a limited number of checks you can write per month).

For more info on choosing a Second Chance checking account and banks that offer them, go here: http://www.mybanktracker.com/news/2012/03/09/chance-banks-offer/.

Response by
MyBankTracker

I use Woodforest and love them 

skitterintx

a good second chance bank

have you ever heard of city national bank? it is a second chance bank if you have had problems in the past, I have had this acct for about a year and its a good bank, most of them can be found at a walmart. never had a problem with them and it cost next to nothing to get one hope this helps!!

Response by
cawedel

ChecxSystem

How long can they hold a bad account aginst you? Thank you!

Response by
jrlsmama

Negative information in ChexSystems stays there for 5 years. Even if you pay it off. UNLESS...the bank that put it there removes it. Perhaps if you make arrangements to pay what you owe, they will remove you. If you ask and they say no, then you are no worse off than you are now.

darksom1

Bad Credit Bank Account

I use USAA. It is online. I have been using them for 3 years now, and it is a fantastic bank! 

Response by
spring35

I do not pay for checks, the debit card or a monthly fee either. USAA! 

spring35

Doesn't the account holder needs to be a military person?  My brother had a stroke, has bad credit but needs to receive SSI somehow.  I have conservatorship but my credit union I bank with said they could not open an account for him even with my credit being excellent because his SSN came up with terrible credit.   Not sure where to go now.

SeattleAD

I Owed them money and they gave me one

REGIONS!!! I owed them money from a fews years back, and I was sure that they would never give me another account. I paid the charge off they had attached to my old account and opened a new one all in the same day. 

Response by
sinreb1687

Dont know what your situation is but unless your actually need checks to write. Have you tried debit cards? Some advertise no credit checks and low fees find out which one best suits your situation these debit cards also offer direct deposit options.

Response by
Hector177

That's not really an option for us says the social security administration cause my brother is in a different state from me. We must get him some account for his Social Security Disability - wish the government had made it so hard.

SeattleAD

Pay off your old debts first....

If you have old debts with banks such as Bank of America, BB&T, Regions or Suntrust, once you have paid those debts off, they will let you open a new account.

Response by
mizzlady76

bank acct for disabled with bad credit

My brother had a stroke, has bad credit but needs to receive SSI somehow.  I have conservatorship but my credit union I bank with said they could not open an account for him even with my credit being excellent because his SSN came up with terrible credit.   Not sure where to go now. Anyone know a legit bank I can open an account so I can give the account number to Social Security - they have gone completely electronic now.

Response by
SeattleAD

i feel your pain

I screwed up with my last bank now have alot of over draft fees they closed my account nothing i could do about it but i did pay my fees and pay it off  to which did not do any good cause now iam on the chex system crap list for the next five years and so far i have had 10 or so banks deni me a checking account i lost everything to the economy now trying to get my life back on track  and of course my credit is competely ruined as well which has a lot to do with the banks slapping me in the face. a couple of them did however offer me a savings account with a card  i dont want one without the other i guess i cant never have my cake and eat it too. but i guess that is just the way it is. so iam pretty much stuck with a prepaid debit card and money orders to pay bills with.

Response by
darkcrowe

What banks at least offered you a savings account?  That would do.  All Social Security needs is an account number and routing number.

SeattleAD

Bank I use

USAA

Response by
spring35

Submit to the Community