Question

cyndihaltom02

Utilization Score
For two months my credit cards have been zero, yet you show no change, why?

Most Helpful Response

It's not clear what you're asking. If your credit card balances haven't changed (and there's been no other activity), then your score might naturally remain static.

Are you saying that you paid the cards off, expected to see a score change at that time, but didn't?

Any score change you're going to get from paying card balances off or paying them down will come as soon as the card vendor reports the change to the credit bureaus (usually within a week of issuing your monthly statement). If your score didn't go up or down at that time, then presumably the change in balance wasn't significant enough to alter your score.

If you feel something's wrong in the way your card vendor is reporting to the credit bureaus, call their 800 number and discuss it with them.

Also, though, be aware that scores often go DOWN when people pay cards off completely. The scoring systems like to see low balances; they don't like zero balances.

cyndihaltom02

I had to pay them off in order to use them.  I have low balances now and have for the past two months.  Apparently, no. 1, nobody said to keep a

balance on the card just to pay it off.  So I did.  I will, however, make sure there is a low monthly balance.  These things should be made more clear instead of someone just saying "the balances are too high and need to be paid off".  Anyway, I get it now so I will be able to be more accurate with the way I pay my bills.  Thanks.

cyndihaltom02