Question

jaret84

Trying to pay off a debt, but not sure what it's for
I have one minor debt (under $200) and that is the extent of my credit history but it is giving me an extremely low score. I would love to pay it off but I have no idea what it is for. How can I find out what company it is for and pay them? Please help!

You first go to annualcreditreport.com and get copies of all three credit reports.  Look them over very carefully and file disputes on all WRONG information with the credit bureau reporting same.  You should also find the names and addresses of any current creditors.  Just because something pops up on your credit report doesn't mean it is YOUR debt. Errors are common on credit reports. That is why we are strongly advised to check all three credit reports yearly. If you do find the entry is legitimate, you'll be able to contact the creditor and arrange payment, but I suspect it's a mistake.