Question

JDWERF

Transunion score different from CreditKarma score?
I was under the impression that Credit Karma publishes the official TransUnion credit score. When I applied for a refinance the broker pulled my credit report from TransUnion and got a very different score. Credit Karma shows 734, broker TransUnion report shows 809. The scores were pulled on the same day. I had used the Credit Karma score in initial discussions with brokers and may have qualified for a lower rate if I new the higher score.

Most Helpful Response

This is what I've noticed.

I have 2 credit cards (from different banks) that both provide me with monthly TransUnion credit scores.  One bank shows the score on or about the 7th of the month, the other on or about the 20th of the month.  For the last 3 months, both scores have been consistent 710, 711, and 712.  CreditKarma's TransUnion scores have all been in the 600s (the highest, 664).

When CreditKarma first started, some people joked that their credit scores were FAKO scores (ie., fake).  But when they aligned with TransUnion, I felt there was some hope.  But considering how VAST the difference is between CreditKarma's TransUnion score and the TransUnion scores from 2 other banks, I'm wondering if they've gone back to FAKO scores.

P.S.  FWIW, another bank gives me monthly access to Equifax credit scores ... which are slightly above the TransUnion scores given me by the two banks (719 effective today).  That makes sense.  Scoring in the 600's doesn't.

P.S. to my last.  BTW, CreditKarma apparently doesn't know that I have one more credit card than they report (Red Canoe Credit Union VISA - $1,000 credit limit).  I got this credit card a few months ago.  Why doesn't it show on my CreditKarma list of cards?  I checked with Red Canoe and they said they've made two reports to the credit bureaus so far.

I recently checked mine from a letter

I tried to apply for a PayPal credit card and it said my TU was 389

CK has me listed at 553. I am very confused with this score. The GE Paypal said the TU 

range was from 300-620, so does that mean I am not really a 389? I would hope so since that 

seems like a crappy score. 

As you can see from my earlier post (above), I no longer trust CK credit scores as being authentic TransUnion scores.  But likewise, I no longer trust the competency of GE Capital Retail Bank (now, Synchrony Bank).  I, too, applied for a PayPal Extras MasterCard.  They denied me for a cryptic reason - that they couldn't verify my identity with enough confidence to issue the card.  When I queried them about it, they said that while they ordered a TransUnion report, they didn't use it - choosing instead to rely on information from "other sources" (another cryptic response).  Oddly enough, a couple of weeks later, they approved TWO other credit card applications without the same "identity" issues.

If that wasn't bad enough, whenever they send me bills, the subject line of their emails is wrong - saying the bill is related to my Walmart Discover card (when it's really for my Chevron/Texaco credit card) - and saying my Chevron/Texaco credit card was for a PayPal Extras MasterCard (for which they denied me)..

I'm actually a bit scared about their new thing - that they're discontinuing their association with Discover and swapping out their Walmart Discover cards with Walmart MasterCards sometime before October 31st.  I'm halfway expecting they'll send me a PayPal MasterCard instead because, otherwise, the bank's right hand doesn't seem to know what their left hand is doing - and vice versa.

My credit karma score was 764 my experian fico was 821.....credit karma was advising me to take auto loans that were 2 points higher ......if I took the credit karma offers I would be paying hundreds more in interest....

They need to fix this it because people using credit karma and the lower score will pay more if the they accept credit karmas offers.

this goes directly to thier credibility :-(

Never pay any attention to the Transrisk score, vintage scroe, or anything else.  The FICO score is the trademark system that lenders use.  All these other formulas is just something to compete, it's NOT THE REAL McCoy!  Fico is a trademark and it cost to use someone's trademark, therefore websites like CK come up with their own system to give u a score because they cannot use another companies trademark without paying them.  And that's why u got all these other scores, like Vintage score, they don't mean anything because Lender's don't recognize them. 

mbs2978

There are 49 FICO scoring models.. And the lenders pick from the menu....

it is confusing.  my CK score is 771 my TransUnion is 534; a huge discrepancy.  I wanted to refinancemy mortgage and they want 620 minimum, and do not recognize CK .. I don't see what the point is in paying attention to the CK score?  How can I balanceall of them out??

TransUnion,com uses Vantage score. The range is 501-990 while ck uses TransRisk which is 300-850.

cowtipper64

If you got to CK "Credit Center" by clicking on your score you can see your Vantage score as well.

what is the transrisk score in comparison with fico score? is it the same...

My CK credit score and the actual FICO score for TU also do not match (CK = 732, TU FICO = 770). The CK breakdown states my average account age is about 4 yrs old, but FICO says it's 12 yrs. There is obviously a disconnect. CK is giving you their estimate of your FICO score, not the actual score from Fair Isaac (the FICO score company).

you should have used your own score from the actual credit b's and not relied on CK, beacuse it is a "guideline"...no your actual score before entering into ANY agreement...you get a free one each year from the big 3...use them and spread it out...like every 4 months get one from trans, then equi...etc...no brainer. Good luck and you can re-negotiate is you have not signed...

krush22

the free credit reports from the big 3 do not show your credit score, for that you have to pay extra. I believe that the new financial bill that was just passed, says that they will have to provide the score with your report once a year for free, but not sure when that provision will go into effect.

boyeaademola

I have tried to see How I can get a free score, I get a free annual report but no free score, how can I get a free score from them pls???????

What will my transunion score ? right now im at 650