Question

Cheddar01

Thought debt was taken care of, years later find it in collections
Back in 2012 I was attending community college on a pell grant. Towards the end if the quarter I got very sick and didn't finish the quarter. The school sent a letter requesting repayment of funds. I sent a few monthly payments while awaiting a doctors note to excuse the debt. As soon as I submitted the note, I stopped making the monthly payment. I never heard a word from the school again. I assumed the note had taken care of the debt.

Now 3 years later, I see that the debt was sent to collections. No one has ever contacted me from the collections agency or from the school. I assume there are many fees and interest attached to this debt at this point. I feel this is unfair since no one from collections has ever contacted me.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!

More information..

I also want to add that the note from the doctor is actually a tool that the

school suggested that I do in order to eliminate the debt, not just something I hoped would work.