Question

booksofferlife

The company my debt is with closed
I have a debt through a company that has closed. Actually, to be more accurate, the company was bought by another company and renamed. Am I still responsible for the debt that I owe, even though the company my debt was through no longer exists?

Most Helpful Response

Technically, yes.  Other companies can buy this debt, it can get passed around quite a bit.  However, if the debt is older than 7 years, nobody has the right to report it anymore.  If that is the case, then dispute the account with all three bureaus at www.annualcreditreport.com.