Some advice for a credit history startout?
I've had a wellsfargo checking account for three years which I made when I started college in the US. But I've only had my ssn for about 4,5 months. I basically have no credit history since no one except for the social security office knows about my ssn (would it help to tell wells fargo my ssn?). I want to start out and build my credit but I've read some opposing opinions, so I thought I would ask here.

1)Secured card vs. normal credit card: I've read that capital one sometimes gives out normal credit cards for those with no history. they have a student card and a newcomers card (which I guess is for people like me), but they also have a secured card as well. Is a regular normal credit card a better option or is a secured card better for someone who's starting out their credit history?

2)I've heard someone say never go above 20% of your credit card limit. Someone else said stay below 80%. Which one is true? If i get approved with a credit limit of a few hundred dollars, 20% would be very small... i don't plan on using my card as a primary means of payment, but just as a tool for building my score so that i have a solid number when i do get regular income...

3)Is it better to pay off my balance frequently or is it better to just let the credit card company take money off my bank account automatically each month (e.g. paying my credit card bill twice a month vs. automatic payment each month)? I've heard different opinions about this as well.

4) But I've heard that checking your credit score too often (using credit score reports) can be bad for you. Is it okay to sign up and regularly use creditkarma ie. is it different from an actual credit score report?

I've only seen capital one being mentioned for people like me but if you have other recommendations that you know of, i would be very grateful.