Question

depotguy26

Should I file bankruptcy?
I am permanently disabled and on SSI and I live on around 1000 dollars a month. I have about 20,000 in debt mostly from medical bills. After I pay all my bills I do not have hardly anything left to pay on a budget plan or anything. So should I file and just wipe it clean.

Most Helpful Response

You might also check into getting Medicaid, which is a state run medical insurance program to provide medical insurance for those of low  income.  You should be eligible.  You may want to check into the county program for disabled citizens and see what assistance you might get there.  They may have funding sources to take care of your medical bills as well as other assistance programs to reduce your out-of-pocket costs of living.  Never hurts to ask.

No

Your S.S.I. is judgement proof. Your creditors "could" take you to court and get a judgement but seriously "probably wont" because they know they have no way to collect. They cannot garnish your S.S.I.  bankruptcy cost time and money and sticks around for 10 years versus just waiting 7 for it to disappear without doing anything. I'd suggest looking to see if you could manage payments, (only ones you could afford and be SERIOUS about) as a way to build good credit. However if this isnt possible due to difficult people on the other end of the line OR it would take way more than 7 years to pay off then I'd just shrug my shoulders, say bummer deal and do nothing. note: stay doing nothing, read other posts about restarting the clock. Just my thoughts.

depends....

If you forsee your medical issues continuing to mount even more debt before you are in a situation where your costs have stablized I would wait.  Once you find yourself in a position that you won't be incurring new debts for your medical care then go ahead and file.  It will cost you some money so be aware that bankruptcy can stay on your report for up to 10 years.

Your SSi can't be garnished and a court would certainly find in yor favor, But you won't be able to do it again for at least 10 years so you want to make sure that your in the right situation before filing.

take a look here for more info and to see if its a good idea for you.  There is a "Bankruptcy Means test" link on this page to,

http://bankruptcy.about.com/od/Bankruptcy-in-the-News/fl/Bankruptcy-by-the-Numbers.htm