Question

nutmeg315

Removing a paid off debt from your report
Who do I talk to about paying off a debt, the collection agency or the creditor? After I pay off a debt, who do I ask to remove it (pay for delete), collection agency or the creditor? Also, if I don't ask for the pay for delete, who do I send a good will removal request to, collection agency or creditor? Thank you for any help on this. Oh and why does equifax and transunion have two different numbers?

Most Helpful Response

The first thing that you need to do is to continue reading about credit before you proceed any further. You want to try to negotiate a "pay for delete agreement" with the lender first if they are still willing to accept payment. Even if they only agree to pull it back from collections to remove that and leave their account on your reports if there is one would be better than nothing. If the original creditor is not willing to accept payment on the account then you want to try a "pay for delete" with the collection company. A pay for delete is negotiated PRIOR to paying, not after. Understand that the collection company and original creditor are two separate companies so you will have to deal with them both if need be. As to your last question, Equifax and Transunion are two separate companies with separate scoring methods and they may each have different information too.

wfs2708

wish I had read this before I paid two of three