Question

eleo

Removed collections - why isn't my score back to what it was?
I had an account go into collections due to a miscommunication pertaining to household bill sharing. I paid the account off and now my Equifax account no longer has any derogatory remarks. In addition to that there haven't been any negative changes to any of my other credit factors.

However, my credit score is about 20 points lower than what it was prior to that derogatory mark ever being present. How does that work? Will I get those points back in time, do I have to wait a bit? Can there be "invisible" credit factors? I don't understand how essentially restoring the credit report to its former state (a little bit better, if anything) doesn't yield an identical score?

Most Helpful Response

Credit scoring is a slow moving behemoth

Your score will drop like a rock with anything negitive being reported, but it is slow to recover those points when things get corrected.  Your score should rebound over time. generally with in a couple of months. 

eleo

A couple of months isn't too oppressive of a time frame I guess.

They will likely recover in time. The record of missed payments will still remain on the record for seven years, unfortunately.

eleo

The thing is, it doesn't show up as a missed payment like it would if it were a loan or a credit card. The unpaid account was only in my name for a month before I knowingly closed it, and the bill reflected a month of usage, so it wasn't an ongoing situation of month-to-month nonpayment from a creditor that culminated in a closed account, or anything like that. It was just the collections account listed under "derogatory marks" because the full amount for that one month was being collected by a collection agency. It also didn't affect my "Payment History" percentage and isn't shown there at all. From what I can see, there's just no record of the account on my credit report anymore, which is why I don't understand why my credit score isn't what it was before.

I'm just trying to figure this out. If it were shown uner my payment history as a missed payment, it would make sense why there would be a lasting effect to my score. But I don't see that in this case.