Question

mrsbtowne

Question about judgement -- amount is different than debt
Back in 2008, I was living in an apartment with my boyfriend at the time. We were both on the lease. He left and stopped paying, and since I couldn't afford rent by myself, I informed the apartment association in writing, as per our agreement, that I had to break the lease, and told them when I was going to move out. About 2 wks after I gave them notice, they served me with an eviction. I didn't do anyting about it, I was young and didn't understand my rights, and just figured it wouldn't matter b/c I was moving out a week or so later anyway so it wouldn't matter. Now I have a judgement on my credit report for a little over $900.00. The complex still ownes the debt, and I called them to set up payments, but the amount they told me I owe is more than double that of the judgement amount. I asked why the amount was so much, and they said I lived there for 2 months after I stopped paying, but that is not true. I moved out 2mths before my lease was up because I couldn't pay, so I was only supposed to owe the price for breaking the lease (around $900). Can anyone clue me on what I should do next?

Most Helpful Response

You should probably see an attorney. Possibly a free legal clinic somewhere. Your story just does not add up.

That part that does add up is that after a judgement the interest continues to accumulate. But, the amount will be specifically stated on the judgement that the amount is XXXX dollars plus interest at the rate of XX percent and will spell out any other charges. It can easily be interpreted by an attorney or accountant.

mrsbtowne

I'm very frustrated. I've been searching online but I haven't been able to find any other situations quite like this. I considered offering to settle for the price of the judgement, but then it won't show up my credit report as satisfied. And my ex who was on the lease is useless. He is not concerned that this is also affecting his credit score, so asking him to help pay is not an option.

cdil0219

I am in the same pridicament. A former friend and I had to move out of an apartment for financial reasons. We gave notice but they proceeded with the eviction. There is a public record on my credit report with a judgement of about $800 (fee for breaking the lease) but there is also a collection mark on my credit report for about $4500 which includes the fee plus 4 months rent for what would have been the duration of the lease. Obviously the latter amount is ridiculous but I under that those terms were in the lease. I just don't want to pay the higher amount if the court says I should only pay $800. Does one supercede the other? Any feebback at all would be appreciated.