Question

Johndoe19

Paid down debt, why did my score go down?
To be clear: I changed NOTHING about my report. No new anything, didn't close anything, didn't charge anything, didn't move, didn't inquire about anything, NOTHING WAS DIFFERENT about my report except 2 things:

1. I paid down...not off, down some CC debt. Limits did not change.

2. my score dropped from 747 to 707.

You heard me when I said nothing else happened right. Report was identical. NOTHING changed except my score.

Is the fact that I stopped using credit and just cash causing my score to lower? If so, it's not a measure of how likely I am to pay a debt....It's a measure of how good a "customer" I will be...a good interest payer.

Same thing happened to me

I was so excited that in the past year I nearly paid off all my student loans. Decreased my debt by over $15000. Thought it would help my credit score, but it just dropped a couple points. Granted that is not a lot, but I thought it would go up! This whole credit score system is a total scam that has all of slaves to credit card companies. It is total BS! I am actually shocked our country lets such corruption exist. You need a good credit score to get a decent mortgage rate...but you have to be in debt to do that....errr.

Penalized for paying on time?!?

Can someone help me understand why on earth my credit keeps going down when the only thing I'm doing is paying my bills on time????? What the hell am I supposed to do to get my credit score back to normal?????   This is really ****ing me off and very frustrating.  And for absolutely no apparent reason that I can seem to make sense of.  Oh and forget about trying to talk to someone at one of the credit reporting agencies.  I think I might have a better chance contacting GOD than them.  Enough is enough, what the hell is going on and who the hell can I talk to about fixing this problem.  Why won't anyone get back to me about this.  I've sent several requests with supporting documentation and my credit score keeps going down.  Somebody please tell me why so I can try and fix it.  

Paid off house, credit cards and car

I paid off all my debt at the end of December and my credit score dropped.  What a bunch of BS.  I worked hard and it took 25 years to pay off my home and all along I though wow my credit score is going straight up!? Wrong!  What a scam of a system.

I have a car payment and one credit card

that's it.. wich have both been payed on time every month. My score was finally almost to 600 last month and I check today and my score also went down 40 points for NO reason??? Why would it go up so many months in a row, nothing has changed and suddenly drop?? Like everyone else here has said so much for being responsible. why do they have to make it so complicated when they'd be getting all our money either way? Just makes me sad that this is the way the world works and i hope you fix this ****

Pay student loans, score goes down

Same thing is happening to me, as soon as I started paying on my student loans, my credit score keeps going down every single month it seems. This is so frustrating because I pay on time every single time, I am never late becaue I know how "important" it is to have a "good credit score", obviously not if my score goes down every time and I am never late. The united states is so stupid I swear. 

karma is crap

ok my wifes credit score consistently has been 650s on CK. The actual fico score and whatever elso algo they use to buy a car etc from a bank turned out to be 706. 

Same deal.

I paid 800 on credit cards, lost points. But the simulator says if I had paid 1000, 200 more, it would have risen by 23 points. This is nuts.

Karma Krap

Go figure.  I run my free credit score with this website and I'm told 792 and 802.  Well, you'd think with all the debt I recently dumped.  No, my actual score was in the 730s.  Keeps going down.  We're all fools for trying to be such outstanding idiots.  

Score dropped for NO reason

same here..... i've paid off most of my debt and cleaned up report... only have a student loan which is paid electronically and debited on time.  still have a large balance, but NO LATE payments.  And all of a sudeen my scores dropped -6 & -14 !!!!!    THAT'S RIDICULOUS.....  has anyone had any luck reaching customer service... seriously!    i agree with most of the posts... you have to be in debt to try to increase score...????   that MAKES NO SENSE !    And then you need a loan or cc to increase score... but you have to pay them down too?   there is definitely something going --- and we need to work together on fighting this.  Nothing is done because no one does anything.... we need to speak up.

Paid off car, credit score goes down

I agree! I'm so ****ed! Its almost like you have to be swimming in dept to have a great credit score. I'm the only one working in my household and for years I have worked hard to get my score up. Finally got it to 692 last month, (Oct 2013). I paid off my car Nov 2013 thinking I'm finally going to hit 700, WRONG!!! My score went down 9 points! I'm military and move from place to place every 2 to 3 years. I do not own a home and I'm retiring in 2016 and tring to pay off all the credit cards and vehicles prior to retirement so I can purschase a house when I retire. However, if I continue to pay off things it seems my credit score will keep going down and I want be able to get credit to purchas a shoe box when I retire.

DO NOT pentalize me because I pay my bills on time and then pay them OFF! These are the good people. No wander the people of our Country is in so much dept, they have to STAY in dept in order to have good credit to have decent things. UGGGG!!