Question

TylerTheHuman

Nothing has changed with on my credit report, but my CS just went down, why?
Actually, my credit card utilization went down from $91 (of $2300) to $0. Everything else is the same. Literally nothing else. My score of 730-ish dropped 25 points. I don't understand.

Same accounts, same credit inquiries, and credit history changes as time goes...no derogatory marks, excellent payment history, excellent credit utilization.

30 point drop for ???

Basically same question and story as above. My scores just went from 720's to 690's. I have perfect payment history, no new cards, no bad comments, very low but regular card usage, so WTF? This really stings as it takes me from Good to Fair zone. I'm really trying to build up into the 750's and am going the wrong way and can't tell why?

AFChief82

I encountered the same thing.  A 50+ point drop for no apparent reason.  Nothing negative was reported, totals all dropped, no credit hits, nothing. This is out of the blue and has never happened before.  Nothing changed from the last report till now, except for the drop in score.  Very frustrating.

credit score graph

Is there any way credit karma can bring back the graph it used to have? I liked being able to see how well my credit score has gone up by individual months/yrs.

Usually a 0% utilization is not considered a good number.  While its good to pay off your credit card each month, it is best to maintain some utilization from month to month.  This can still be done by having a balance at reporting time and paying off on the pay off date which is usually a few days later.

All my score dropped 603 to 0

When I asked TransUnion to remove a closed account from my credit report because it was too old, it deleted all my score and dropped it from 603 to 0 when it removed it. Very disappointed.

1-20% Utilisation

As faidros mentioned you should keep a small balance month to month. Definitiely below 20%, but I have read that the sweet spot is between 1% and & 7%.

If you are concerned about paying interest, then pay the balance in full AFTER your credit card company has reported to the credit bureaus. This is should be a few days after your statement closing date. (Call your creditor and ask them when do they report).