Question

Posted in Taxes

jenna1952

Need help paying taxes, dont want to be homeless.
have a sick daughter, I have been paying taxes every month for the past year. Sometimes $200 and sometimes $250, always paying, I called my tax office and asked for a break for 1 mo. But I was told I need to pay $4,000 and then I could pay on a payment plan, but I need to pay asap. Please help me. Mother in despair in Mercedes, Texas.

We are not in a position to provide much help since we do not have access to your information in order to contact you.

Your best option might be to check with the hospital to see about financial assistance for your daughter.  Some hospitals and doctors have a sliding scale payment plan.

If the taxes are property taxes, there may be a program in the state to give you a hand somewhere on the payment plan.  Check with a social service agency like Salvation Army or St Vincent dePaul who may be able to help or steer you towards someone who could. 

One suggestion I may make and that is to make sure everything regarding housing (rent/mortgage, utilities, insurance, property taxes) is paid every month.  You need shelter before anything else. Credit cards are at the bottom of the list of things to pay.  Too many people put them at the top of the list, but that is the wrong priority.  I found that out when I filed bankruptcy.

I hope someone else may come up with additional ideas to help you.